14. Rogue Vampire (3)

(First Person POV)

A vampire.

It was definitely a vampire that killed that man.

The two bite marks on the neck and a body that looked like it didn't have any flesh. And considering what world this was...

It was the only explanation I could come up with.

However, if I recall correctly, there was no mention of this event in the movie. I haven't read the book series of Twilight but I don't think it was mentioned there either.

And now that I think about it, many things in this world held a slight difference from that of the movie. I could only think of two reasons as to why this may be.

Either, I was in an alternate universe of Twilight or, my presence has affected many things.

In that case, there was no way I could be certain that things would progress the same as the canon.

Slumping down on my bed, I looked at the ceiling and sighed.

All of a sudden, there was a knock on my door.

"Kiddo? You there?"

Ah, Charlie.

Sitting up again, I walked over to the door and pulled it open.

"Hey, Charlie."

Judging by his troubled expression, I already knew what he had come here for.

Clearing his throat with a soft cough, he rubbed the back of his neck and asked, "Do you...uh...have some time to talk?"

"If this is about what I saw, I can assure you that I'm fine..." No, I wasn't but like hell I was gonna say that.

Unfortunately for me, Charlie Swan was persistent when he wanted to be.

"No. I think we should talk about it. Seeing something like that...would be traumatizing for anyone," the man said solemnly.

Biting my lip, I opened the door wider to let him in.

****

As much as I hate to admit it, I was disturbed by what I saw. I mean, I know what kind of a world this is but that doesn't mean I was prepared for such sights.

Seeing dead bodies on tv versus seeing them in real life are two entirely different experiences.

It was almost haunting.

The talk with Charlie was awkward, as expected, but I could tell that he was truly looking out for me. Certainly, the man was worried about me and I understood that.

I was grateful he cared enough to want to comfort me.

But I was embarrassed to show him what I was truly feeling.

Can you blame me?

At the end of the day, I was a grown adult possessing a child's body. As adults, we have our pride and we have trouble expressing our emotions.

In many of the fanfictions and novels I've read, the protagonists are never fazed at the sight of death. But this is different. This is reality.

Growing up in a peaceful environment yet having to witness such a gruesome scene will undoubtedly impact my mind whether I want it to or not.

Every time I picture that corpse in my mind, a shiver runs down my spine.

Somehow, I just know that this case wouldn't pass over easily.

****

(General POV)

Present day...

Having escaped the Cullens' pursuit temporarily, Rowan took shelter at an abandoned warehouse.

With the Quileute Tribe and the vampire coven after his ass, it wouldn't be easy to leave Forks unscathed. On top of that, the humans were also in search of him despite them not knowing his identity.

Everything would have been fine if that body wasn't discovered.

Rowan knew it was some unfortunate brat that found the dead body of his victim and he hated the kid to no bounds. Because of him, his life was now in danger.

Rowan was as petty as he was prideful.

Although it wasn't technically the kid's fault that he was discovered, he needed to place the blame on someone.

He wanted revenge.

He wanted to rip out the eyes of that child and sink his teeth into the brat's neck, draining his body of life. He also wished to torture and humiliate the human child until he would break.

"Hehe..."

Just thinking of the 'pleasure' he would feel once he had that child within his grasp was enough to fill him with ecstasy.

"Little brat...just you wait..."

Muttering to himself, Rowan ran a hand through his red locks and let out a low chuckle.

****

Hours after the chase in the forest.

At the Cullens' residence, the atmosphere was tense.

Rosalie Hale and her mate, Emmett Cullen sat side by side on the sofa with troubled expressions. Jasper and his mate, Leslie were also seated there on the sofa chair.

"What are we going to do now?" asked Leslie with a sigh. Rubbing a hand down her face, she muttered, "I can't believe we lost him."

"He was a fast one," Emmett mumbled. "A tricky one as well."

"His emotions were filled with bloodlust..." Jasper commented. Wrapping an arm around Leslie's waist, he said, "From what I felt, the rogue is planning something that definitely involves another senseless killing."

Rosalie questioned, "Of who? Another innocent?"

"Perhaps of the person who caused him to get caught."

The voice of Carlisle entered the room. Turning around, the four younger vampires saw their guardian walking into the living room holding a newspaper. Carlisle dumped the paper on the coffee table in front of them and the four glanced at the headline.

[Police Chief's Foster Son Discovers Dead Body!]

Rosalie was shocked, "You don't think..."

Carlisle pursed his lips, "I do."

"That means his next victim is most likely..." Jasper paused before stating, "Chief Swan's foster child."

"Alan Swan..."

"That explains the bloodlust I felt," Jasper said. "He's going to seek revenge."

Leslie couldn't understand. Wearing a deep frown, she said, "But why? I mean, it's not like it was the kid's fault that his victim's body was found, right?"

"Technically, it is and technically, it isn't," Carlisle replied with a sigh.

"The rogue's a lunatic. That's all that matters," Emmett couldn't help but mutter. Clenching his fists, he said, "We have to find him before he finds the kid."

"We must," stated Rosalie. "Otherwise...the next corpse that is found will be that child's."