9.5. Bonus Story: The Perspective of Jacob Black

(General POV)

Jacob Black was the son of Billy Black, a council member of the Quileute Tribe. As the youngest of the family with two older sisters, plus being the only boy, Jacob's life growing up could be said to be rather smooth sailing.

He was shy around strangers but he warmed up easily to those he sensed were good people.

His father cherished him as he would be the inheritor of the Black family name since his two older sisters would one day carry the names of their husbands. However, although he was cherished, it didn't mean that Billy spoiled him senselessly.

He educated Jacob strictly and ingrained the laws and virtues of the tribe and pack in his head. More than anything, Billy wished for Jacob to grow up to become a wolf full of loyalty, and courage, and to have a strong undying will.

Jacob did not know of his father's thoughts.

From his perspective, his father was a good man. A strict parent but a caring one.

Outside of his family, Jacob had a good amount of friends and relatives in the tribe. There were many tribe members that had children his age so a good amount of them grew up together. Because of how reclusive they were, Jacob didn't think he'd find a friend outside the tribe. Additionally, he didn't he'd get along well with 'regular' humans.

However, he was soon proven wrong.

A strange boy by the name of Alan arrived in their little city.

He was taken under the care of Chief Swan, a close friend of Jacob's father.

When his father asked him to come along to see the new kid and Chief Swan, Jacob was initially reluctant. He didn't really want to meet the new boy staying with the chief.

Though unhappy, he tugged along with his father to visit the Swan residence.

And that's where he met the person he would grow to call his best friend.

****

Alan was an odd kid.

That much, the eleven-year-old Jacob was aware of.

He was certainly fun to hang out with but there was always something Jacob found...different about Alan. Maybe it was because of his growing shifter instincts but Alan seemed to hold many secrets behind him. And the way he acted - at times, it felt as though Alan wasn't the same age as him but older.

Jacob honestly didn't know how to properly describe what he thought about Alan other than his friend being extremely mysterious.

It was no secret that Alan's origins were a mystery and the boy claimed to have forgotten all his memories other than his name. Jacob wasn't completely sure but something about the way Alan sometimes acted told Jacob that perhaps he hadn't forgotten his memories.

However, Jacob didn't ponder long the subject.

Truthfully, he didn't really care about Alan's past.

As a kid, he lived enjoying the present disregarding all else. As long as Alan was a good friend and a cool playmate, Jacob could care less about what sort of secrets he was hiding.