Chapter 4: Enter the Pack

Silence filled the air as they drove. They had been on the road for over twenty minutes riding along the expressway and not a single word had been said. With Damien lying in the back of the truck unconscious and this mysterious person sitting next to him, Christian couldn't help but be nervous.

So many thoughts filled his mind during the drive. Would Damien be alright? Where were they going? Would the children, in fact, be safe? Who was this mysterious person that they all made this escape with? So many questions to be asked but not nearly enough answers. After a while, Christian couldn't take the silence any longer. So, he decided to attempt to break the ice.

He turned and glanced over at the man. "Thank you," he said. "Seriously, thank you. We'd all be dead if it wasn't for you."

"You're welcome." The man looked up at the signs on the expressway and after several more miles, he directed Christian. "Get off at this exit. Once you do, you'll turn left."

Christian turned the truck and headed down a dark road in old downtown Chicago just as the sun began to set. As he was driving, all of those questions continued to eat away at him. He absolutely needed to know.

"Who are you?" he asked. "You came out of nowhere and saved us all. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful. But you haven't spoken a single word since we left the mall and, quite frankly, it's freaking me out."

The man continued to look straight ahead and answered, "My name is Cyris."

"OK, great. We're getting somewhere," joked Christian. But things got very serious very quickly. "Where did you come from though? Where did you learn to fight like that? And why were those Night-Stalkers out in broad daylight?"

Cyris took a deep breath and said, "Look, I understand you have a lot of questions. But right now, you need to just focus on driving. We'll be at our destination soon. Then, you'll get your answers."

"Cool. What about the kids, though? Will they be fine where we're going?"

Cyris gave him a reassuring nod and they kept driving.

As they drove, Christian took in the sights. It was downtown Chicago. A place once filled with life day in and day out. But what was once a bustling metropolis could only be seen now as an almost completely barren wasteland. Many buildings now lay desolate and near total ruin. Most of the skyscrapers that filled the Chicago skyline were nothing more than empty, rundown buildings.

"Man, it's crazy," Christian mused. "I was here the day it all happened. Earlier that day, I mean. I was here with my parents. We were here walking down this exact street. It's crazy how quickly things can change. Now they're not here."

Cyris just turned and looked out of the window. He took a deep breath. "So was I. I saw it all. That morning was just a normal morning. Next thing I know, it turned out to be the worst day of my life – along with everyone else's." Noticing where they were, Cyris gave more direction. "We're here. Turn right on Jackson Blvd. and go down to the lower-level parking garage at the old federal building."

Christian continued driving until they reached the building. They entered the garage and drove as low as they could.

"Why the federal building?" Christian asked.

As they got out, they gathered all of the children together and directed them to follow the corridor that led to a level below where they were. Cyris quickly commanded the guards to lift Damien out of the back of the truck and, from there, they took him to the infirmary along with the children.

"Before the Event took place," Cyris started, "the building had a top-secret, high-level security military facility located deep below ground. Only a select few people knew about it, me included."