Chapter 5: Truth

Over the next few days, Christian kept a constant vigil with Damien in the Medical Center. Damien still lay there unconscious after almost a week in the infirmary. The battle with the Night-stalkers took an unforeseen, dramatic toll on his body. Doctors were in and out of the room constantly to check on him – monitoring his vitals and searching for any sign of him regaining consciousness. But so far... nothing.

For the first time in two years, Christian felt alone. The person who saved his life during the Event and numerous times after that - the person who became a friend and brother to him - now lay in a hospital bed helpless. He didn't know how to cope with the situation. Most of his time was spent at Damien's side. When he wasn't with him, Christian spent his time in his room on his tablet doing research and studying.

KNOCK KNOCK...

It was Diamond at the door. "How is he doing? Is he showing any signs of improvement yet?"

"Stable... For now. The doctors are saying that it's about a 50/50 chance of him waking up."

"I hear Dr. Montgomery has been in to see him," Diamond said. "I talked to her just a little while ago. She told me that it looks like he'll pull through."

Christian turned and looked at Damien. "I really hope he does. He deserves it. He fought too hard to get us all to safety for him not to see it all." He took a deep breath and let out a loud sigh. "So, Dr. Murphy, she's good at what she does? I've seen her in here checking on D quite a bit. I'd say just about every time I'm here."

Diamond answered, "She's the best. I can assure you; Damien is in good, very capable hands."

It was only a few words, but Diamond did much to comfort Christian and ease his fears.

Diamond walked into the room and sat down next to Christian and rested her hand on his shoulder. "He'll get up. He's a fighter. I can see that in him, and I haven't had the pleasure of meeting him. Cyris told me about what happened out there. You, Damien, and even little Jimmy - you were all very brave for what you did. Those kids in that mall would've been slaughtered. You saved them. All three of you. So, smile a little."

Christian let out another sigh. "Yeah..."

Diamond noticed the saddened look on his face wouldn't go away. So, she stood up and took Christian by hand. "Come on. You've been down here for days. I know you need a good meal. I insist."

As reluctant as he was, Christian decided to get up and go with her.

"So," he started, "How did you end up down here with The Pack?"

"The day it all happened is pretty much a blur to me. But when I woke up, I was in the care of Cyris. I was bruised up pretty bad. But he nursed me back to health. It took maybe two months for me to get fully healed."

"What happened to your family?"

"They didn't make it."

"Sorry to hear that. That seems to be a recurring theme these days."

"What do you mean?"

"My parents didn't make it through either. Neither did Damien's. And Jimmy just happened to show up outside our camp about a week ago... alone..."

"I guess it is a recurring theme. I'm sorry for all of your losses."

"How did you become their leader? I mean, no disrespect, but Cyris is much older and from what I've seen, he's a beast when it comes to fighting."

Diamond laughed a bit and they both sat down at the nearest table in the cafeteria. "Yeah, he is definitely a beast when it comes to fighting. He trained me. But he didn't want to lead. It was the responsibility of it all. He just didn't want any of it."