The Journey to the Capital

—Shoot me.

Gazing at the ceiling, Thomas sat up.

He rubbed his eyes, and looked at David, who got up around the same time.

"Hey. Well, we're part of the village now, so we should probably get to work. Although, we should probably head out towards the capital tonight."

"Hey, did you say capital?"

Turning his head, both David and Thomas cried out at the person who slept in the third bed.

It was a blue haired woman, who smiled brightly at them.

"W-who the hell are you?!"

The girl's smile morphed into a look of confusion, and then back to a smile.

"I'm Eda, nice to meet you! So, you wanna head to the capital, huh? Well, I can get you there for free, since I hear you're a healer, so that would be pretty useful if we get attacked by wolves. As for the other guy, he's an extra mouth to feed, but he'll be useful as a meat shield I suppose."

Thomas glared at Eda.

From his eyes, even the cheery Eda felt uncomfortable.

"Don't say that about my brother."

The feeling of death looming over her shook Eda to her core.

"A-ah, alright. So, uh, I'm thinking about going tonight, you wanna tag along?"

Thomas' face slowly turned back to his usual one, and he agreed.

"Welp, time to get to work! Cya!"

Eda hopped out of her bed, not letting Thomas ask her how she got inside.

Thomas sighed, and the brothers went to work for the day, healing, and farming, receiving dinner and water.

Once it was time, a horse carriage was set up, and Eda invited them inside.

The horse began to head off towards the capital, and the brothers rested next to each other.

Suddenly, in the shadows of the forest, they heard branches snap and growling.

"Aw, shit, the wolves are here. Hm, against wolves, if they aren't magic, then... David, I think, is useless. Thomas, get ready to heal!"

Thomas stood up, and David scooched over to the middle of the carriage.

A man with short black hair stood up, and pulled out a greatsword.

"Damned wolves, the bastards. Back off, you fuckers!"

A wolf showed itself, and was chasing the carriage from the back, in a straight line.

Eda stood up, and extended her hand, keeping her fingers touching.

She raised her hand into the air, and slashed down with it, creating a wind blade that launched at the wolf.

The wolf whimpered, and its eye was slashed.

"Al, use your cool stuff!"

The man named Al raised his sword into the air, and channeled fire magic into it.

He raised it into the air, and slashed downwards, fire shot out, and slashed the wolf's head off.

"Bullseye! Take that, you stupid fuck! Hah-"

Al's head fell onto the floor.

For a brief few moments, Al's eyes darted around, until he eventually closed them.

Eda looked, and began to panic.

"The fuck? This is just the land of the wolves, how the fuck did that happen?!"