The Past

A little boy and his brother walked inside of a bookstore.

They walked around, and found a comic book that they quite liked.

"Ooh, Adventure man!"

They sat next to each other, and flipped through the pages, seeing their favorite heroes transferred into a fantasy world where they fought dragons, and other cool monsters.

"Hey, Thomas, when we grow up, what if we became superheroes?"

"That would be awesome! We'll be like Bart, since he doesn't have superpowers."

"Hm. How can we get superpowers?"

Thomas pulled out a notepad, and looked around for a pencil, finding one.

He began to write "How to get superpowers!" on top of the piece of paper, circling it.

The boys brainstormed how to get superpowers, and decided to try them out.

They put the book back on the shelf, and ran out to the forest.

"Okay, spider bite, here we go!"

Thomas ran over to a tree, and saw a spider.

"A-auw..."

His hand shook in fear, but he carried on, because the best heroes knew how to overcome their fear.

He let the spider crawl onto his hand, and it began to shake so rapidly that the spider bit him.

"Yowch!"

He shook his hand quickly, and the spider got off.

Thomas began to sprint away, with David chasing after him.

"Hey, are you alright?!"

"Y-yeah..."

Thomas' voice broke as he did that, due to his fear and head hurting from crying.

Thomas walked over to a wall, and leaned on it, falling.

"I-I think I'm dying... wah!"

In truth, the spider that had bitten him wasn't venomous, it was just that Thomas believed it to be so, that the slightest feeling in his head counted as a throbbing headache, and his muscles being tired from running were signs of paralysis, and soon to be death.

Him being out of breath from running?

Clearly a sign of his body not being able to breathe.

Thomas sobbed, rubbing his eyes as tears flowed down his face.

"Hey, I'm sorry! I'm sorry, I didn't mean to get you hurt... wah!"

The two brothers began to cry, and hugged each other.

"Hey... don't worry, Thomas, I'm here! I'll help you, I don't know how, but I will... I will absolutely protect you!"

David began to rub the back of Thomas' head in order to calm him down.

David used that "technique" a lot, since Thomas was sort of a crybaby, so he would frequently need to be calmed down.

Thomas found his brother rubbing the back of his head soothing, and he calmed down.

"Thank you... David..."

"You're welcome. After all, if I can't even console my big brother, how can I save people? I have to learn stuff like this to fulfill my dream!"

"Y-your dream?"

"I want to be the greatest hero."

They continued to sit there until their mother finally found them, scolding them for running off by themselves.