The Letter

—Does it hurt?

David walked inside of a bar, seeing yet another pile of corpses.

It had been 3 months since Thomas had gone off on his own, and many people had already died.

In one night, an entire country was murdered, and yet the number of deaths only slowed down, leaving most of the population alive.

David left the bar, and told his friends that it was another corpse party.

"Damn it! Just how long do you plan on killing, Thomas?!"

Kreeg was furious, and could only voice his frustrations, due to his lack of ability to do anything to actually stop Thomas.

"Hya!"

Kreeg turned his head, and saw a sickle flying at him.

Kreeg avoided it, and it slammed into the bar behind them.

"Who are you?!"

Two men in black cloaks showed themselves, with one of them pulling out a pair of sickles, and another pulling just one out.

"We are the Followers of Death, and Death wishes to see you."

"Tch, I know our old guild was called the Worshippers of Death, but it seems he's copying a little bit too much, isn't he?"

Alkaline spoke her words with a snarky tone of voice, and used her lightning with "Blessing of the Lightning God!"

Lightning shot out of her fingertips, and zapped one of the men.

"Unfortunately, I think I'll pass on meeting death."

"Whether you like it or not, you will meet my master."

The man sprinted at Kreeg with inhuman speed, and Kreeg extended his knife to the size of a car, swinging it down at the man.

However, the man was too quick, and got behind him, stabbing him in the back of the knee, before tearing the blade out, causing Kreeg to plummet to the floor.

"Alright, take-"

The man threw a sickle at Sophie's leg, stabbing right through it.

The man sprinted, taking the knife out of her leg and getting behind her, threatening to slit her throat.

"Follow me, or Sophie dies."

The rest of the party didn't have much choice, so they did as instructed, with Kreeg having to wrap his arms around David and Alkaline, hopping on one foot.

It took a lot of walking, until they finally met with Death.

"When he said death, I thought he meant dying, but it turns out you became too dark for your own good, Thomas."

Alkaline spoke her words, as they were brought to a castle, moving down to the dungeon, with candles being the only light source.

Thomas looked down at the ground, his eyes miserable.

"We brought them, sir Death."

"Thank you."

Thomas wore a dark cloak, with the hood taken off, he sat down on a stool, leaning forward with his fingers interlaced as they rested in between his knees.

"Please leave, my followers."

His followers did as instructed, leaving the old members of the Death Worshippers alone in the dark basement.

"How have things been?"

"Not very nice, since you fucking killed the entire country!"

Thomas looked dead inside, so no changes in facial expression were seen.

Thomas continued looking down, and finally tilted his head up.

"David, you stay, everyone else, please leave."

The group responded with a resounding "no!"

Thomas felt dumb for not expecting that.

Thomas reached to his left, and on top of a barrel, laid a piece of metal in an L shape, with a curved line at the intersecting point.

"Tell me, David, which one of them do you least like?"

"U-uh, why does that matter?"

"It doesn't, I just want to know."

"Kreeg is nice, and Alkaline used to pay the tab, so-"

Thomas extended his arm, and though the group was confused for a moment, they soon found out the power of a gun when Sophie's head flung backwards, as she collapsed to the floor.

"It took a few months to explain the idea, since I didn't have a clue on how they worked on earth, but I managed to get this thing put together."

"S-Sophie!"

"Hey, if you want her to live, take her out of the basement, and I'll heal her."

The friend group immediately rushed out of the basement, as Thomas put the gun in a weird leather thing.

Thomas walked over to Sophie, healed her, and carried her out of the basement, dropping her outside.

He closed the door, and locked it.

The basement they were in was soundproof, so they wouldn't be able to tell David anything.

Thomas slowly walked back to his stool, and sat on it.

"Here, a letter, just for you."

Thomas pulled out a letter, and held it into the air.

"And before you get it, let me talk for a bit, please?"

"F-fine."

David glared at his brother with murderous intent.

"I won't make excuses for what I've done. I know just how horrible I am. Sorry for being such a bad big brother."

"Bad? Bad?! You call killing an entire country, and plenty more people 'bad?!' Did you even think anything through?! I'm associated with the most evil person in history, and you call that being simply bad?!"

"Most evil person in history?"

For the first time in the three months since Thomas had gone off on his own, he smiled.

"Or, perhaps, would you call me the greatest villain in history?"

"Damn right!"

Thomas' smile turned into laughter.

"Thank you. I love you, even if I am the worst person in history, who has killed so many people, I still love you. However, don't forgive me."

That part of him still hasn't changed.

Thomas awkwardly laughed, and rubbed the back of his head.

"Like I said, I'm not seeking forgiveness. All I want is to..."

Thomas paused mid sentence, and laughed a little bit more.

"Well, I guess I'll just save that for later."

Thomas pulled out a letter, and raised it into the air.

"Kill me, and the letter is yours."

Thomas reached into his leather holster, and took his gun out.

Reloading it, he set it on the floor and slid it over to David.

"The contents of this letter won't be enough for you to forgive me, but I hope that they at least provide some solace, to both the current you and the you of the future. I love you."

David grabbed the gun, and pointed it at Thomas, the same way he pointed it at Sophie.

Thomas put his finger up to his forehead.

"Shoot me."

David took a moment to gather the will to shoot his own brother, but pulled the trigger all the same, shooting Thomas in the head.

Thomas fell backwards on his stool, and David picked up the letter from his hand, opening it.