The Royal Castle

—Please rub my head like you used to!

"W-wha?"

David tore the sword out of the spider, and slowly stood up.

"David! How the hell are you— oh..."

Thomas realized why, and cried out for his younger brother, who limped over to him.

"David, how are you able to move?"

"I'm not sure. When I could still move, it took a bit before I decided to use it to my advantage, and pretend to be paralyzed."

After a few minutes, the paralysis came undone, and they could all move again.

As the three spiders died, they couldn't feel any more spiders down the area, and when Thomas offered to check, there was nothing.

The party called it a job well done, and walked back to the guild.

"Good boy, David! If you hadn't done that, we would've been screwed!"

David smiled at Alkaline's comment, and rubbed the back of his head, just like his brother.

"Thank you."

Sitting down at the same table from yesterday, one of the members of the guild handed them their money.

200 gold coins.

20 percent of the overall bill they had to pay.

Thomas looked down at the table with both despair and melancholy.

This meant that they would likely have to go through 4 more quests, potentially risking their lives, especially David's, to pay off their debt.

Alkaline noticed Thomas' melancholic expression, and raised an eyebrow.

"What's wrong, Thomas?"

Thomas hesitated to speak about his financial issues for a bit, before deciding to let them know.

"Of course, I'm grateful for the money and all, but this is only 20 percent of the bill I have to pay off."

"Hm."

Alkaline raised her hand up to her chin, and rested her elbow on the table.

Her eyes looked into the air, seemingly lost in thought, until she stopped, with an "aha!" and a smile on her face.

"Does it have to be you who pays the debt?"

"Huh? Yeah, since I don't want my brother to have to pay off both of our debts."

"Well, what about me? Can I help you?"

Thomas looked at Alkaline with confusion, before finally putting together the meaning of her words.

He smiled slightly, and rubbed the back of his head.

"If you really are offering, then I accept. Of course, I don't expect this to be for free, so don't worry, I'll do whatever work I have to."

Alkaline smiled, and nodded her head with an "Alright!"

Alkaline went with them to the doctor, where they paid off the debt fully.

Now freed from their debt, Thomas continued to show his gratitude, until they reached the guild, where everyone in the entire guild was standing, and leaving.

"W-what the?"

"Oh, crap, was that today? Alright guys, we should head to the royal castle!"

Alkaline took the brothers by the hand, and ran to the royal castle with them.