14. I Want To Ride My Bicycle

After learning absolutely nothing at Tadfield Manor, our heroes must face bicycle crashes, confused witches, and discussions of what water slides off of on their journey home

***

"There's a very peculiar feeling to this whole area," Aziraphale said as they hurtled down the lonely roads, through the trees and beneath the darkening summer sky. "I'm astonished you can't feel it."

"I don't feel anything out of the ordinary," said Crowley.

"I don't either," said Freddie. "But I'm also not sure if you're talking about something Humans can't sense."

"But it's everywhere," Aziraphale protested. "All over here. Love. Flashes of love."

Freddie opened her mouth to say that she definitely couldn't sense it, but hesitated. Of course she didn't have whatever Ethereal power her Pops was utilizing. But that didn't mean she could not comprehend what he was saying - some locations had a feeling to them, like the bookshop, with its welcoming aura. (Welcoming to everyone who wasn't a customer, of course. Customers were met with nothing short of barely caged hostility.) Tadfield was like that. Freddie could see it in the carefully maintained roads, in the small, neat houses and the bountiful, overflowing gardens they had passed earlier. Someone (or many someones) clearly adored this place. 

"Yeah," She said. "Now that you mention it..."

Crowley (who could be suspended in pure love like a piece of fruit in gelatin, and still not feel anything out of the ordinary, due to the fact that his constant pining drowned everything out) scowled. "You two are being ridiculous. Last thing we need right now is-"

They never got to find out how he would've finished his sentence, because as he spoke, he diverted his attention away from the road, leaving the car unattended. That moment, the Bentley made impact with a passing cyclist with a thud and a cut-off scream. Freddie and her fathers fell into shocked silence as the car came to a standstill.

It was Aziraphale who gathered his bearings first and pointed out the obvious. "You hit someone."

"I didn't," Crowley protested instinctively. "Someone hit me."

"Same difference." Said Freddie. And with that, it was a rush to get out of the car, to check on the person that had been hit (or had hit them) and also to make sure that the aforementioned car was still drivable. 

Crowley circled around, making sure that his Demonic powers were put to use ensuring the Bentley was in working order. Aziraphale and Freddie made for the cyclist - a young woman with dark hair and round glasses, wrapped in a long blue coat - was okay.