18. Our Side

An old married couple has a big fight

***

Crowley and Freddie arrived at the bandstand just as the sun was setting. The air was humid and heavy, but cool enough that it was pleasant to be out and about. Aziraphale had yet to show. The Demon began to pace back and forth as Freddie leaned against a pillar and watched. She twirled a lock of hair around one finger as she did so, existing somewhere in a state between bored and anxious.

It didn't take long for that to change. After a few minutes, there was the clack dress shoes against the pavement - Aziraphale was approaching rapidly. Freddie immediately moved to embrace him. The Angel hugged her back, soft and warm and safe, and one of her favorite beings in the entire world. 

"Hello, my dear," Aziraphale said. "How has your day been?"

"Alright," Freddie answered. "Dad and I grabbed lunch and ran some errands, and then I helped him with his plants for a bit. How about you? What'd you do today?"

"Yes," Crowley chimed in from a few feet away, where he had paused his pacing to fondly gaze at the two individuals he loved most. But now, as the Angel and his daughter broke apart, he shifted, getting back to business. "Any more news aside from the phone number? Have you found the missing Antichrist's name, address, and shoe size yet?"

Aziraphale tilted his head to the side, confused. "His shoe size? Why would I have his shoe size?"

"It's a joke," Crowley said with a sigh.

"Ah," Aziraphale replied. "Well, I'm afraid I don't have anything more to share than what Freddie already told you. I got caught up in a meeting with Gabriel and that cut into my time for research."

Crowley wrinkled his nose in disgust. "Gabriel. Eugh. Does his Holiness still have a massive stick up-"

"Crowley!"

"He does!" Freddie exclaimed loudly.

"Freddie!"

The Demon and the teenager exchanged mischievous glances as Aziraphale shook his head in exasperation. "Honestly," he said, "the two of you. I thought this was an important meeting, not the time for japes."

"Well, it doesn't seem like we have as much to share as I had hoped," Crowley replied in his usual sarcastic drawl. "I've got nothing either."

Aziraphale frowned, his expression somewhere between contemplative and upset. "I can't say I'm surprised that we haven't made much progress," he admitted softly. "It is the Great Plan we're going against after all."