I

There he was again. On the way to a plain, grassy hill, surrounded by high grass and the occasional, lonely flower. A small breeze was tousling his dark brown hair, the hot, scorching sun forcing him to squeeze his eyes half shut. Maybe that's why he barely made out the full-length mirror on top of the hill, standing there by itself without any support. He came closer, hoping to finally see something in this mirror, even if it was only his own reflection, hoping to find an answer to that sense of intense longing that overcame him everytime he climbed that hill.

But nothing. Only a white, greyish surface. If his perfect pitched ears would have to give that colour a description of a possible tone, he'd say white noise. Not silence, because that'd probably feel more peaceful, no. An even mixture of soundwaves extending over a wide frequency range...

Like those countless times before, he extended his arms and stretched out his fingers. But before he could touch the presumably cold, smooth surface, black enveloped him. All of him. Everything.

And like those countless times before, Eddy woke up, panting hard and drenched in sweat.

"Fuck!", Eddy mumbled under his breath, scrunched his eyes shut and pressed his thumb and index finger on them, letting sparkes of white explode behind his eyelids. He knew what was coming next, so he quickly got up, made his way to the bathroom with long strides before he bent down and retched into the white porcelain bowl.
"Fuck", he groaned again when it was all over and leaned his back against the tiled, cold wall opposite the toilet.

He glanced at the digital clock standing by the bathroom mirror. Another two hours and he'd have to get up. He sighed heavily, flushed, rinsed his mouth and splashed his face with cold water. At least this mirror did show something. He stared at his reflection: a pale, haggard looking man in his late twenties with tired, heavy eyes, which seemed almost blurry, greyish, instead of the warm dark brown they'd once carried.

Eddy looked and felt old, so old and exhausted.

He stumbled back to bed and let himself fall down with a loud thump. Without bothering to cover himself up, he fell into a this time dreamless, dark void.