𝐩𝐝 𝟕:𝟗

ᴀʙꜱᴏʟᴜᴛɪᴏɴ

Hailey walked nervously down the hallway while on the phone trying to reach Jay

"Jay, third message. I was annoyed after the first two. Now I'm getting worried. Call me as soon as you can." She looked to see Kim and Adam walking out of the locker room. "Hey, have you guys heard from Jay?"

"No," Kim responded.

"We were supposed to get beers last night, but he never texted me back," Adam added.

Trudy walked up the stairs," Hey, is Halstead on a UC run?"

"Not that I know about," Hank responded.

"State's attorney is all over me. He's supposed to be in court right now."

"Hailey, you know anything?"

"No, I called him a few times but I got nothing. I was about to call his wife," Hailey explained.

"Yeah, I called him too. No answer. So I ran the GPS on his truck. It's parked on a street in Englewood," Trudy stated.

"How long has it been there?" Hank asked.

"All night," Trudy responded. "I ran the in-service calls to that block. There were two calls of suspicious persons at a house on that street."

"Thanks Trudy," Hank said. "Check it out," he said to Hailey. As she and Kim started toward the back stairs, their attention was pulled to the sound of a crying baby coming up the stairs.

The group turned their attention to the commotion at the bottom of the stairs.

"Ma'am, I'm sorry, but you can't go up there," an officer explained.

"The hell I can't, my husband works up there. I just need to talk to them," a familiar voice responded.

Platt quickly descended the stairs to open the gate.

"Hey, Schmitt, she's good. I've got her," Trudy nodded, opening the gate for the woman. Looking down the stairs, the group watched as Trudy reemerged with Averie by her side, the mother bouncing a crying Lola in her arms.

"Is he here?" she asked urgently, glancing around at Jay's team who all seemed to be holding back from making eyecontact with her. "Hank," she looked to the sergent with tears in her eyes, "He never came home. I tried to call him, he never answered," When he hesitated to respond, she stiffled a sob, "it's bad isn't it?" she cried.

"Let's sit down honey," Trudy took Lola out of her hands and guided the woman to the break room.

-

"Averie," Hank walked into the break room. The woman carefully got off the couch as to not wake her sleeping toddler and stood closer to Voight.