𝐦𝐞𝐝 𝟖:𝟗

ᴛʜɪꜱ ᴄᴏᴜʟᴅ ʙᴇ ᴛʜᴇ ꜱᴛᴀʀᴛ ᴏꜰ ꜱᴏᴍᴇᴛʜɪɴɢ ɴᴇᴡ

Averie exited the elevator into the ED carrying a toddler with her

Averie exited the elevator into the ED carrying a toddler with her. They caught a glimpse of red hair walking past them.

"Daddy!" the little girl in her arms exclaimed.

Will spun around quickly.

"Hi baby," he had a smile on his face but furrowed his brows at Averie. He lifted his daughter from her arms. "Hi Aves," he pulled her into his side and pressed a kiss to the side of her head, "What are you guys doing?"

"Avie's taking me to get ice cream!" Iris squealed out, causing heads to turn.

"Oh she is, is she?" Will glared at his sister-in-law who just shrugged at him.

"Do I hear baby I?" Maggie walked around the corner but froze in her tracks, "Averie?" she spoke excitedly.

"Hey Mags," Averie smiled at the charge nurse, moving to pull her into a hug.

"What- what are you doing here?" Maggie pulled back, holding onto the girl's arms.

"I'm the damn Maid of Honor, where the hell else would I be?"

"Woah, little ears," Will tucked his daughter into his chest, making her giggle in amusement.

Averie wrapped her arm around Maggie's shoulders, "Come on, let's let everyone freak out when they seem me because I'm basically a celebrity around here," she pulled her into the bullpen of the ED.

But it was the same little voice that gathered everyone's attention and it stemmed from the one-year-old seeing her mother.

"Mommy!" Iris exclaimed happily.

Lacey looked up and gasped when she saw her sister-in-law, "Averie!" she exclaimed. She rushed toward the group, basically tackling the girl in a hug.

"Hey," Averie laughed. She was soon swarmed by the rest of the ED staff; Crockett, Dahli, Hannah, and Doris with Dean coming close but keeping a few feet between himself and the hug fest of healthcare workers. "I missed you guys," Averie pouted once she had hugged the last person.

"We missed you too," Dahli smiled at her, "What are you doing back?" she asked.

"Did you really think I'd miss my girl's wedding?" Averie shot a questioning look her way before quickly turning it into a smile, "I don't know if you know this but much to Maggie's arguments, I've been April's best friend since high school so..." she shrugged as they fell into an easy conversation about what's been going on in their lives before they had to return to their patients.

///\\\

Averie knocked on a treatment room door, "Hey Sextons," she greeted, joining the family in the small room.

"Averie," April greeted happily, standing up and hugging the girl. She was then pulled into Noah's side quickly before being released.

"I heard you feeling bad Mr. Sexton," she approached his bedside, squeezing April's mom's hand quickly.

"Ah it's nothing," April's dad brushed it off.

"I bet it is," Averie nodded along. "Okay, um I'm gonna steal my niece from her parents and head out. You guys call me if you need anything alright?" she sent pointed looks to the family, "Apes can I talk to you real quick?" she pointed out the door.

"Yeah," April stood and followed her out.

"You doing alright?" she asked.

"Yeah. I'm fine," she nodded quickly.

"Are you sure?"

"Um I just have one question. Before you and Jay got married, were you- like- worried?" she asked nervously.

"Of course I was. It's normal. It's normal to be worried about random little things approaching your wedding. I mean we already had Lola before we got married so it was a little different than you and Ethan, but I was still worried about everything from thinking he might regret getting married in a few years to worried that we might not like the same brand of crackers," she placed her hands on April's upper arms. "Honey, the point is, it's gonna be different. It's gonna be new. But it's a good different that the two of you will face together. I can guarrantee you that Ethan has the same nerves that you do."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

///\\\

Averie stood in a royal purple dress behind her best friend with a smile on her face. She watched as Ethan took April's hands in his own.

"I, Ethan, take you April, to be my wife. I promise to always be faithful to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health, to love you, and to honor you all the days of my life."

"I, April, take you Ethan, to be my husband. I promise to be faithful to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health, to love you, and to honor you all the days of my life."

"May I have the rings?" the pastor asked.

They happily slid the rings on each other's fingers and shared a happy kiss.