𝐩𝐝 𝟏𝟎:𝟑

A GOOD MAN

Jay set his suitcase on the front porch, pulling the key from his pocket

Jay set his suitcase on the front porch, pulling the key from his pocket. Quietly, he inserted the key into the door and slid it open. He left his suitcase by the door, setting his coat on the nearby rack. He heard small footsteps running into the room. The child's laughs came to a quiet when she laid eyes on him.

"Daddy?" she said, staring at him.

"Hey, sweetheart," Jay responded.

"Daddy!" she squealed louder, running and jumping into his arms. Jay lifted her off the ground, spinning her around.

The squeals brought another person into the room.

"Oh how I missed you, baby girl," Jay held her tightly, cupping the back of her head against his shoulder.

"Mommy look! Daddy's here!" Lola exclaimed.

"I can see that," Averie smiled at the pair.

"Hey, baby," Jay said softly to her.

"Hey there," she replied.

Jay set Lola on the ground, who then rushed off, mumbling something about needing to show him something.

"I missed you so much," Averie grabbed onto him tightly.

"I missed you too," he mumbled into her hair. He pulled back from the hug, instead pulling her in for a deep kiss.

"Daddy! Come see!" they heard Lola yell from upstairs.

The couple broke apart laughing.

"I'll be right there, honey!" Jay responded. He wrapped an arm around her shoulders as the two headed toward the stairs.

"Welcome home, Jay. Welcome home," she said, patting his chest.

"It's good to be back," Jay replied.

THE END OF

DELICATE