Chapter 22

7:30 pm Wednesday, 4th July 2029

Crew Room on the OCF

When Toby went to the crew room he found Jayal, Charlie and Mutu clearing away the remains of their evening meal.

"The children have had theirs," Charlie explained, "and we got them to eat together in Aliya's room. They're actually starting to communicate with each other even though they speak different languages. I don't know how Jayal does it, she's amazing with children."

"Where are they now?" Toby asked.

"They're still with Aliya. She's acting like a mother hen, and Jayal's got an idea we're going to try right now. That's why we ate early."

"If you want to do some tests this would be a good time," Jayal added. "I think it might be interesting."

"What are you going to do?"

"We're taking them flying in the main assembly bay," Charlie beamed.

#

Toby agreed to join them later with his equipment and was choosing something to eat when Summers and Rob came in and did the same.

"Productive afternoon?" Summers inquired.

Toby said he'd worked out how to use the neurological kit and intended to try recording some data that evening ... if he could get the kids to wear the head caps. He also whispered that after dinner he wanted to talk to everyone in the SBR. Summers raised his eyebrows, realizing Toby must know something he didn't want Velan to know. They still weren't sure if the Manitan had any sort of listening device on their vessel.

Over dinner, Rob said they'd been checking the incinerator to see if it could have caused the flash reported the previous night, but it was working fine. He explained that all waste, including the packaging from the supplies, was reduced to fine dust and shipped back to Earth for disposal.

"Except, I have it on good authority that Elon Musk spreads it on his roses," he confided.

#

It only took Toby ten minutes in the secure briefing room to bring Summers and Rob up to date.

"I'm beginning to think that Vitu is not the idyllic paradise that Velan makes it out to be," Summers said.

"No. Look at the problems the caste system still causes in India," Toby agreed. "I get the impression from Jayal that the ordinary Manitan people are oppressed by the Atikas and their cronies."

"And you think Velan is one of their cronies?" Rob asked.

"Definitely, and the other two guys are under his orders," Toby confirmed.

"So what do you know about these knowledge implants?" Summers asked.

"Only that they're in their neck and rubbing them must stimulate them in some way. I've noticed them doing it a few times."

"Maybe it's a microchip with a pressure switch," Rob suggested.

"I don't think so," Toby disagreed. "They think our technology is clumsy. I think it's some sort of organic implant."

"But that would mean actual brain cells," Rob said incredulously.

"Why not?" Toby shrugged. "They told us they have intelligence units that contain human brain cells. Why shouldn't these implants work the same way?"