Chapter 28

7:30 am Sunday, 8th July 2029

Toby's Cabin on the OCF

Toby and Jayal had not wasted time sleeping. Jayal virtually dragged Toby to his cabin and then pounced on him.

"Don't you think we should get some rest?" Toby had protested.

"You can rest afterwards. I'm taking my revenge!"

"Revenge for what?"

"For doubting me. For thinking I could have knowingly put those children at risk. Now shut up and come here."

An hour later a happy but exhausted Toby held Jayal tightly and worried about what the coming day would bring. He hoped Rob and Summers would come through with their promise to take care of any killing. He couldn't imagine himself taking anyone's life, no matter what the circumstances. He sighed deeply.

"What is it?" Jayal asked.

"It's going to be a long day and I'm already whacked," he told her, unwilling to reveal the real reason.

"You mean you're tired? I can fix that," she said. "Watch my lips and listen to my voice."

Toby complied as Jayal began her monotonous chant. Within seconds he was transported to his cottage on Oronsay. He and Jayal were in each other's arms in front of a crackling log fire. He could hear the rain battering against the windows, but they were safe and warm inside. Feelings of utter contentment and relaxation engulfed him as he watched dancing shadows cast by the flames.

Reluctantly, Toby opened his eyes to find himself back in his cabin on the OCF. Jayal was sitting cross-legged on the floor watching him.

"Are you back with me?" she asked.

"How long have I been asleep?" Toby replied.

Jayal glanced at the clock. "About fifteen of your minutes."

"That was amazing! I feel great ... as if I've been asleep for hours."

"Good, now I think we both need a shower before we meet the others."

"Okay, we can either have ninety seconds each or three minutes together."

"Oh ... I think I need the full three minutes," Jayal said with a wicked smile.

#

After they had eaten, Jayal and Charlie prepared breakfast for the children and Jayal said she would take care of the monitoring collars. The three men retired to the SBR with cups of coffee to hammer out a plan to get rid of Nimir and, after him, Velan.

They all agreed that while the two Manitan were alive, the children, and the entire Earth, were in danger. If Velan managed to get a message back to Caranal that the plan had failed, the Presidium could send more of their vessels, and even Jayal didn't know what weapons the Atikas might possess.

Summers had been worried that Nimir might have some sort of concealed weapon but Jayal had told them the previous night that the only weapons carried on the blimp were some old electrolasers. Jayal had never used one, but the three men were familiar with the concept of electrolasers. They had replaced the old wired tasers used by police forces on Earth. They had been in the news constantly during the pandemic riots when many protesters had suffered heart attacks after multiple hits.

Jayal had told them the Vitu version was bulky. There was no way Nimir could carry one without them noticing.

"We have the advantage of numbers and home ground so Nimir shouldn't be a problem," Summers stated confidently. "We just need to decide on a method of ... elimination,"

"I've got plenty of Midazolam," Toby offered. "We could drug him and then suffocate him."

"How long does it take to work?" Rob asked.

Summers shrugged. "When the nurses used it on the kids it took about five minutes. I guess it would take longer on an adult, maybe ten minutes."

"So we need to subdue him for ten minutes. How can we do that?"

"Slug him as soon as he floats out of the airlock," Toby suggested.

"You've been watching too many Hollywood movies," Summers said. "It's not easy to knock someone out, and probably impossible when you're both weightless."

"Boss, we don't need to do any of that. All we do is blow the airlock when he's inside."

"Of course!" Summers declared. "Why didn't I think of that? We can override the safety switches on the doors and pull the emergency vent valve. Can you do that Rob, and put it all back together afterwards?"

"No problem. I'll dig out the circuit diagrams."

#

Summers asked Toby to bring Jayal to the briefing room. They needed her help for the next stage of the plan, dealing with Velan.

"Are you sure Velan thinks you and Mutu are still wearing the collars?" was the first thing Summers asked her.

"Charlie and I have had them around our necks and I've been talking to the children as usual. I keep asking Mutu to do something. I'm sure Velan won't suspect anything yet, only that Mutu is not very talkative today."

"Okay, we'll need to use the pod to get to your vessel this afternoon. Is it easy to fly?"

"Very easy. The onboard intelligence unit does everything, but it is voice-activated, so I'll come with you."

"It could be dangerous," Toby objected, "if Velan has one of the electrolasers."

"The intelligence unit in the pod has voice recognition. Only we four Manitan are authorized to instruct it, so I have to come. The same goes for our vessel."

"In that case, you'll have to stay out of the way when we get there," Summers told her. "Can you draw a plan of your vessel so we can find our way around?"

#

Jayal left to draw a diagram of the blimp on one of Sasha's sketch pads and Rob went to find the circuit diagrams he needed in one of the OCF's many manuals.

Summers rubbed his eyes tiredly.

"Why don't you go and get a couple of hours sleep?" Toby suggested. "We can't do much until we have Jayal's diagram. I'll wake you at 1 pm."

"Thanks, Toby. I'm getting too old for all this cloak-and-dagger business. It's way above my pay grade."

Toby nodded sympathetically. "By this time tomorrow it will all be over and we can relax, then on Tuesday night you'll be at home with your wife."

"Jane!" Summers exclaimed. "How am I going to explain all this to her and Phil Taylor? Our first ever contact with extra-terrestrials and we murder half of them. I better give her a call on the sat phone and drop some hints that we've got a serious problem. Don't forget to come and wake me at one."