Chapter 9: Wei WuXian

Wei WuXian's POV

Location: Earth.

Dimension: Undisclosed.

The tea warmed me like a whore eager to please her client. Seriously, it almost gave me a stiffy. Then again, the sight I had woken up to might have helped too. 

Eyening the entrance of the cave and dressing in the lingerie the jade-like man had left for me, I peeked outside. The view was marred by the curtains of rain bathing the place like it was trying to cleanse a child who had soiled themself. 

Returning to my straw bed, I scanned my surroundings. 'Is this where he lives? Does he have a family?' That thought led to an even more scandalous one, "Is he perhaps married? Am I the other man!?" I shook my head, trying to banish the ugly thought, and wondered how and where exactly I had ended up. 

The last thing I could recall was walking to the club for my night shift. Jiang Cheng, my manager, had hinted at a surprise. 

'Wei WuXian, if you are lucky, you will finally get the recognition you deserve.' Jiang Cheng was a real bro. He was the one who had stood up in my defense when Glen had tried to take credit for my work. In the eighteen years since my unfortunate birth, Cheng was the only true friend I had made. Don't get me wrong, he had a temper that often got the best of him, but I had long since learned to look past the facade. The man was like a marshmallow sandwiched between burnt cookies. In every sense except for literal, my boss was my brother from another mother. I wish his parents had adopted me instead of the monsters who had. Just my luck that those assholes got to me first. 

My chest constricted as flashes of my painful past blanketed me in a familiar helplessness. I struggled to pull air into my lungs and failed. As numbness spread from the tips of my fingers crawling upwards, I closed my eyes, hoping for someone to yank me out of the dark, empty abyss. Alas, I was alone. 

Moments before all was lost, I was pulled against a cold, wet wall. Not wanting to drown, I threw my arms around the solid form and plastered myself to it. I didn't dare open my eyes lest my anchor vanished.

When my heart calmed down a smidgen and breath followed suit, I heard it; a song of storm and silence.

The beautiful tone reminded me of calm seas with tempests brewing within their core. It was beautiful and scary all at once, and I couldn't help but want more. 

I didn't know walls could sing; glad that I had found one that did, I vowed that the next time I saw it, I would invite it to stay with me forever. Maybe then, I would finally be free of the nightmares of my past. 

An angular face from somewhere behind a haze swam in front of my mind's eyes then. The dark monolids that rarely smiled smirked at me. 'Xian, sleep with me.'

I wanted to give in to the demand, but I didn't know who he was…where he was. The feeling of hopelessness returned with a vengeance. 

No. I can't let go. I won't! Snuggling closer to the cold comfort, I kissed the thing that had arrived just in time to stop my fall; it was just my cursed luck that it had failed to stop the inevitable. 

The wall sang again, more erratic than the last; it brought me solace even as I sank deeper and deeper. 'I need to thank you. But I can't see you. Who are you?' I asked, but before I could catch its answer, a wave of exhaustion washed over me and stole my conscience. 

I woke up to the sound of strings. Music filled and revibrated inside the modest space. Calling it fucking beautiful would be an understatement. It was pure and heavenly. A tranquil ocean I wouldn't mind drowning in.