Chapter 12.5

B's POV

Location: Undisclosed for safety reasons.

Placing a silencer around my office, I shouted at the top of my lungs. "Meng Yao, you bastard!" 

We had less than ten minutes before the sun would set. Ten minutes, within which Wei WuXian had to somehow convince Lan Zhan to go out and watch the sunset together.

How was that going to happen, ha? How!? 

Now, I know you all are wondering: B, why does our boy have to do that? What happens if he doesn't?'

Contrary to what I know you all have been thinking, I am not a pervert...well, I am, but not the kind who enjoys porn without a plot. 

I am not a man.

No offense to men. They are lovely as well. They are just wired that way, you know? 

I think it's time I came truly and completely clean. 

The stupid document I had signed just for kicks was kicking my ass now. 

The 'lack of transparency' clause aside, it seemed the contest was far from null and void. 

Remember I told you 108 was different from the rest of the dimensions. The time has come for you to know what that difference is… at least parts that concern this tale. 

See, unlike other dimensions, when a soul traveled to 108, it could return to its home dimension in one piece. However, that was possible provided they did so within twenty-six earth hours of arriving on it. 

Another section of the clause regarding Interdimensional travel stated that if the souls arriving on 108 had entered into a contract before arriving there, they had a maximum of twenty-four hours to fulfill the terms. Failure to do so would result in the soul(s) being evicted from 108 immediately. 

My lovelies, as things stood now, my ship had hardly any time to get their act together- for which, according to the amendments I had made in their contract after resorting to more than a few underhanded tricks- they had to watch the sunset and sunrise together if they were to get their happily ever after on 108. 

I hadn't brought them on 108 just for them to get evicted at the end of the day and return to their home dimensions, had I!? 

I know what you are thinking. 'But B, that doesn't sound as bad as Wei WuXian dying.'

And yes, that was true, but even if the two returned to their homes, they would still be miserable, won't they? 

It would be like the past twenty-four hours didn't happen. Both would get their memories back and would have to bury the love of their lives and continue living with a hole in their heart for decades to come. Two tormented souls fated to live a life worse than death. 

What could be sadder? 

And that's why I had thrown Meng Yao in the mix. From his records, I had gathered that though he was a bastard, both literally and figuratively, he had an intelligent mental disposition. He had brought chaos to 69 but could have easily stopped it too. That's what I needed now. To make good of a messed up situation. 

After sharing my predicament with my new employee, I had sought his advice. To which the snake promised that he would 'make them happen' on one condition. He wanted absolute control over their lives for the next twelve hours. 

I had given it to him and offered him a permanent position as my second in command if he was to get me their happy ending. 

My biggest mistake was trusting that snake, Meng Yao. His resentment for Lan Zhan ran deeper than I realized. No sooner had he arrived on 108 than he had changed my romantic, temptation- island-like setting into some badly-scripted Dub-con, BDSM tragedy! 

Even though I was utterly heartbroken at this unexpected turn of events, I continued to watch my current bae, Lan Zhan, being bruised and abused. He would have to carry those scars for as long as he lived. 

The Bitch was hurt, y'all. It was me. I was 'the bitch'. 

Anyway, I had held on because the shipper in me wanted to give Yao a chance. I finally lost any hope I had held out for them when I noticed how he continued to maliciously eye the wounded cultivator whenever the latter wasn't watching. 

I had understood then that Meng Yao never wanted or intended to help me sail my ship. Not only did he intend to sink it, but he also planned on hurting the soulmates as much as possible before it did. 

I needed to see that snake now! 

And see him I did, very shortly. 

He had excused himself, citing that he had 'urgent matters' to attend to, and transported his ass to my office. 

Our conversation had gone something like this:

"Madam, you called."

"Yes."

"How may I be of service-"

"Do you know who I am? "

"You are my queen."

"Yes. That's true, but this is no time to flatter me. Meng Yao, I am beginning to doubt your intentions."

"I understand why you may have felt so. But rest assured my lady, I will not disappoint you."

"What did you do to my bae... Lan Zhan?"

"I made him powerless."

"Yes, I can see that, my soon-to-be-dead aid. But why? I understand that he can't use his core to summon his weapons, but why did you mess with his arm strength!?"

"I am truly sorry that my actions displeased you, my most-feared-one, but it was out of necessity. It will get you results. I promise."

"Are you sure about that?"

"Yes, my most-ruthless-one."

I had let him return after that short talk. Yes, I know what you might be thinking: 'B, he is most definitely taking you for a ride.' but there was just something about how he had kept his case so charmingly that it made me want to give him another chance. 

I guess I am shallow that way. 

I told myself that we still had time and that Meng Yao had delicate skin he desired to keep for as long as possible, so with that in mind, I had returned my attention to my FHD screen, where Wei WuXian had regained consciousness. Without further ado, I activated CC on his internal monologue, just as I had done for Lan Zhan earlier. 

Don't judge me for it, my lovelies. The cultivator hardly spoke, so I had done it out of necessity. I, however, had no excuse for doing it for Wei WuXian except that I could and wanted to do it. 

Do you know what I hated most? Self-doubt. Both had it in heaps, and I was afraid that precisely that if anything, would be the reason for them losing each other now. 

I could do nothing but watch. And that's what I had done till Lan Zhan turned away from Wei WuXian without confessing how he felt for the latter. 

Dude, could you be any dumber!? 

I was about to pause the screen- It was getting difficult to watch the events unfold with tears blocking my view and snot running down my nose, alright!- when my phone rang and I picked up expecting it to be spam from the R and D department. They were the only ones who worked this late. 

"I am not interested." I spoke on autopilot and was about to disconnect when a voice I hadn't heard in three hundred years questioned, "Are you sure about that?"

It was Brams. The Brams

If it was anyone else, I would have disconnected the call in favor of watching this most crucial part: probably my last chance to see my baes alive together, but it was Brams. Though he was just a figurehead, he was still my boss.

"Brams, what a pleasant surprise. You know that response was not meant for you. Don't you?" I asked with utmost sincerity and heard him sigh, "Come see me now." He ordered before disconnecting the call without disclosing anything else. 

*****
Chapter Word Count: 1354
Word Count so far: 25918