Chapter 2

The North 289 AC.

Jaime.

The road to Winterfell was rough and the terrain dreary but Jaime found that he didn't mind either of those things. He actually quite liked the peacefulness and the empty spaces of the North, besides compared to the grey waste that was the Iron Islands anything was an improvement. It had been less than two moons since his life had changed irrevocably and he was still coming to terms with the new reality he found himself in. He probably should have headed home with the rest of the Westerlands forces, considering he was their new Warden. But the thoughts of having to see his father's body and the inevitable looks he'd have faced from the Lords of the West were something he wasn't ready for just yet.

So to Winterfell, it was that he found himself heading. He'd been surprised when Stark had asked if he wished to accompany the king, surprised even more when for some reason he had agreed.

"Thank you, Lord Stark, I think I will" he said and he enjoyed the stunned expression on the wolf's face.

They were to stay in Winterfell for only a short time, Jaime thinking that it would be a boon to Stark having the king in his keep, or at least the man would see it as such. From there it was on to White Harbor and home, and once there his father's body was to be laid to rest in the Hall of Heroes beside his forefathers.

He had already written to Tyrion to explain what had happened, telling his brother that he would return soon and that he was sorry that he couldn't come back more quickly. He could have of course but for some reason, he wished to go to Winterfell.

"What a strange world we live in" he said aloud and to the bemusement of the two guards that were riding nearest to him.

As they crested a hill the keep came into view, it was large and grey but still very impressive. The walls and towers looked ancient but sturdy and it would take a lot to see this keep fall, Jaime thought. He looked to the front of the procession to see Stark and the King laughing and joking with one another, 'just kiss already' he thought as a smile appeared on his face.

As they entered the castle he saw what must have been every single resident awaiting their liege lord and king and almost as one they dropped to their knees.

"Winterfell is yours my lord, and yours your Grace" the young man said stumbling over his words. He looked as uncomfortable as could be and the long serious face of the Stark's was clearly evident, marking him out as Stark's brother or so Jaime believed.

Don't these people ever smile, Jaime thought, before the man who had spoken then showed that he actually could.

"Benjen, it's good to see you brother" Jaime heard Stark say and he watched as the two brothers embraced, his thoughts going to his own little brother who was alone in Casterly Rock, and again Jaime promised himself he'd see Tyrion soon.

"Rise all of you and Welcome your Lord home, we dealt the squids a mighty defeat and your Lord was at the very heart of it" the king said, his voice booming across the courtyard.

He looked on as the King then moved to a woman who was torn between looking at him and at Stark, the lady was the latter's wife obviously, pretty enough for a trout Jaime thought as he looked at the exchange between the woman and the king.

"Cat you look as beautiful as ever" Robert said and the tall auburn headed woman blushed as the king kissed her hand "And this, this must be your boy, a fine Warden of the North he'll make one day, won't ya lad?" the king said as he brushed his hand on the shoulder of a young auburn headed boy while his mother looked on proudly.