Chapter 49: Cutting ties

Over the next few days, I mulled over my decision to cut ties with my parents. It was a difficult and painful choice, but I knew it was the right one for me. I couldn't continue to live under their controlling and toxic behaviour.
To make sure my plan was foolproof, I spent hours devising a strategy that would be both believable and perfectly executed. I considered every possible scenario, every reaction my parents could have, and how I would handle each one. I couldn't afford to leave anything to chance.
Finally, I sat down to write the letter that would serve as my final goodbye. It was a heart-wrenching task, but I knew it had to be done. As I put pen to paper, I poured all my emotions into the words, expressing everything I had been feeling for so long. It was the closure I needed to move on with my life.

Dear Mom and Dad,
I hope this letter finds you all well. I'm writing to let you know that I've made the difficult decision to leave home and start a new life. I know this may come as a shock to you, but I've been feeling trapped and unfulfilled in my current situation.
I want to explore the world and pursue my dreams without any limitations. I know that my decision may disappoint you, but please understand that it's not a reflection of how much I love and care for you all. I just need to follow my heart and do what's best for me.
I realise that this decision may be hard on you, but I hope that in time you'll come to understand why I needed to make it. Please know that I'm not abandoning you or our family. I will always cherish the memories we've made together and carry them with me wherever I go.
I hope that one day we can reconcile and move forward in a positive and supportive manner. Until then, please know that I'm safe and happy, and I wish you all the best.
Sincerely,
Your Loving Son
Eventually, I decided to mail the letter to their house. They were still in Italy, but I knew Emma would somehow get the news to them. I waited, counting each second that ticked by, wondering how they would react to my words.
Part of me hoped they would understand my decision, but I knew deep down that it would be a difficult pill for them to swallow. Cutting ties with family is never easy, but it was the right thing for me to do.

Wyatt asked me if I wanted to go for a ride like last time, and I agreed. As we rode, the wind blew my hair back and I felt alive. It reminded me of how happy I was with him, and how much I loved spending time with him.
We reached our favourite spot, As we hiked up, I took in the beauty around me. When we reached the top, I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, feeling the crisp air fill my lungs. When I opened my eyes, I turned around to see Wyatt down on one knee, holding out a small box.
"Olive," he said, his voice filled with emotion. "Will you make me the happiest man alive and marry me?"
I was overwhelmed with joy and felt a tear roll down my cheek. I looked into his eyes and replied, "Yes, yes I will."
He slipped the ring on my finger, and at that moment, everyone jumped up from behind a nearby boulder, shouting "Surprise!"
It was Wyatt's family – his sister Naomi, Mik and Flynn. They had been hiding, waiting for the perfect moment to reveal themselves. I was thrilled to see them all, and we hugged each other tightly.
Later that night, Mr. Chen hosted a BBQ at his house, and we all enjoyed a wonderful meal together. The night was filled with laughter and joy, and it was a perfect end to an unforgettable day.
"Olive, I'm so happy for you and Wyatt," Naomi said, giving me a warm hug. "I knew he was going to propose, but I didn't know when. You two are perfect for each other."