1

Cold air wafted into the tower that Evelyn had transformed into her lab. It was in the very top room so no one ever walked in on accident. Evelyn was working in her lab where she typically spent a lot of her time, bent over a wilted plant as she attempted to heal it. She bit her lip, the blue gem spinning between her hands as she channeled her magic into it. Slowly, the plant began to perk back up, making her smile. Suddenly, in a momentary lapse of attention, the gem spun out of control. She braced herself as the gem crashed into a wall, creating a cloud of paster and a sigh from Evelyn. Arnold, her pet sugar glider peaked down from his place in the loft.

"Aurgh, damnit," Evelyn muttered, looking down at the leatherbound book to see what she had done wrong. Reaching behind her, she pulled out another hexagonal gemstone and adjusted her welding goggles before trying once again. Yet again, she got a similar result, except that the moment it spun out of control was the moment the door to her lab opened. The gem whizzed past and bashed into the wall next to the door, causing the person the let out a loud shriek.

"I am so sorry," Evelyn said, quickly removing her pair of welding goggles that she had been wearing for protection as she rushed over to the person. She realised quickly that it was Enid and another girl dressed in Nevermore's uniform, but black

"I'm okay," Enid said, stepping further into Evelyn's lab.

"I didn't know they made the uniform in black," Evelyn remarked, looking the other girl up and down. She had black hair tied into pigtails, a bone white complexion and an angry stare.

"This is Wednesday. She's my new roomie," Enid said excitedly, clasping her hands together in front of her.

"I don't intend for it to stay that way," Wednesday replied and Evelyn was a little surprised by how cold she sounded.

"Sorry about the wall," Enid winced, looking at the crack the gem had made.

"No biggie. I already sent another one into that wall there," Evelyn chuckled, plucking the gem out and putting it into the pouch attached to her belt.

"Wednesday, this is Evelyn. She's a Mage demigoddess so magic is kind of her thing," Enid introduced, looking between the two parties. Wednesday's stare looked like it could burn through Evelyn.

"Nice to meet you, Wednesday." Evelyn shoved out her hand, smiling good-naturedly at the girl.

Wednesday kept her hands clasped in front of her, her face unreadable. "I'm not interested in being friends."
Enid looked uncomfortably at Evelyn. "She's a little introverted."

"Are you..okay? You're looking a little pale in the face," Evelyn said, her eyebrows furrowing in genuine concern for the girl. Wednesday's jaw twitched ever so slightly before she replied.

"I prefer to look half dead," Wednesday replied, barely missing a beat.

"You two would be good friends, though. Evelyn almost killed a guy, too," Enid said, causing Evelyn to wince.

"Almost went to jail from that," Evelyn sighed, walking back to her table to get her cold tea. Evelyn leaned against her table and looked at Wednesday, her eyes narrowed slightly as she sipped her cold tea.

"...Evelyn?" Enid asked, snapping her out of her one-sided staring contest.

"Does she blink? Do you blink? Because I haven't seen you blink," Evelyn said, pointing at Wednesday. "Anyways, Enid, I have something for you."

She pulled a leaf off of the plant on her desk and handed it to Enid.

"What's this?"

"Wolfsbane. I read in a super obscure text a few days ago that it has a rare side effect that can cause transformations."
Enid's eyes widened and a grin came to her face, "Thanks, Evelyn."

"Not sure if it'll work, though. It was damaged when I found it so I've spent a few days trying to heal it. Didn't work," Evelyn sighed, running a hand down her face wearily.

"I appreciate you trying."

"As for you, Wednesday. If you need anything, you can usually find me here," Evelyn said, watching the girl.

"The chances that I will go up those stairs again is close to zero. Count it as a miracle if I come up here again," Wednesday replied listlessly and tonelessly flat.

"Okay, well, Bianca wanted to see me so I have to go. Good luck, Enid. I'll come around during the full moon." Arnold leapt down from the rafters onto Evelyn's shoulder. She smiled as she shoved them outside of her lab, locking the door behind her as she rushed away. Truthfully, Bianca hadn't needed to see her. Evelyn just needed to get out of the room as Wednesday's presence seemed to trigger something within her.