5

Later that night, Evelyn was on her bed working through her homework when someone knocked on her door. Albert, who was sleeping on her head, chirped and jumped down.

"It's not Thing. He doesn't knock, remember?"

Albert went to let the person in and when it opened, Evelyn dropped her pen. There, in her doorway, stood a girl she wished she could forget. Lilian Fox.

She had long blonde hair with matching blue eyes that always sparkled with mischief. She was a Psychic and an ex of Evelyn's. "Evelyn."

"You shouldn't be here," Evelyn cut her off, rising from her bed to confront the girl, despite her being a few centimeters taller than her. Lilian blinked, struggling against her charmspeak.

"Hear me out, please," she begged, breathing shakily as Evelyn stood before her.

"No! I want you gone. You really hurt me." Arnold watched from afar, ready to spring in at any given moment.

"You don't mean that." Lilian reached up to wrap her arms around Evelyn's neck. Her strawberry scent wafted into Evelyn's nose and unwanted memories came crawling back. Evelyn grabbed Lilian's arms, fighting against the urge to fall into her ex's embrace.

"What do you want from me?" Evelyn asked, knowing that this wasn't just a ploy for Lilian to get into her pants.

Lilian pulled away, her eyes watery. "I need to warn you."

Evelyn scoffed, taking out her hair tie to run her hands through her hair incredulously. "You've got to be kidding. We're over, Lilian."

"Please, you have to believe me," she all but begged. Evelyn felt her heart ache as she looked at the girl who once held it in the palm of her hand.

"Fine. But after that, never talk to me again." Evelyn wandered aimlessly around her room, finally deciding to pick up Arnold and put him to bed.

"Something is coming, Evelyn. Something big. I've had so many visions about it and I can't get it out of my head," Lilian said, inviting herself into Evelyn's room and standing awkwardly by the door.

"I don't see how this has to do with me–"

"You are in those visions. In every single one of them. You and that new girl that just arrived today."

"Have you had them recently?" Evelyn walked toward the girl, cornering her against the wall while her eyes flashed angrily.

"No–"

"There you are again with the lies!" Evelyn pushed herself away from Lilian, already regretting her decision.

"I haven't had them because I haven't been sleeping!" She marched over to Evelyn, grabbing her by the wrists despite the other girl's twisting away from her.

"One favour. And then you never talk to me again." Evelyn exhaled sharply, staring down at the girl.

"Watch out for the boy from the Weathervane."

Evelyn frowned. The curly haired, plank of wood, lanky teenager that poured coffees?

"Yeah, alright. Whatever. Now go away," Evelyn said, forcing the girl out of her room.

"Wait," Lilian said, pulling her arm out of Evelyn's grip. She leaned down slightly and kissed her cheek tenderly, pressing her face against Evelyn's. "I'm sorry for everything. I never meant to hurt you."

Evelyn froze for a moment in that position. "Leave, Lilian. You're a stranger to me now."

She tore herself away from the girl, slamming the door on her a second before the tears came. Her legs turned to jelly beneath her, sending her to the floor as she fiercely wiped the tears away. Arnold came up to her as she sobbed, laying a gentle paw against her ankle as he stared up at her, knowing he couldn't do anything to help. He came up her knee and gently tugged her hands away from her face. He placed his paws on her cheeks, stroking them gently, comforting her in the only way he knew how. Arnold suddenly darted across the room to his secret stash of berries and came back with one for Evelyn. He pushed it insistently against her lips even as she refused, forcing a watery chuckle to come out of her at his attempts.