11

After school that day, Evelyn decided to skip her Archery club to check out the forest. She tugged another hoodie over her uniform before taking a fanny pack and slinging it across her front. Arnold clung to her shoulder as she made her way out of the side of the building. In a few minutes, she had made her way to the forest and was climbing a tree when she came across a squirrel who quickly retreated a safe distance away.

"I'm so sorry. There was an attack last night by a monster. Did you see where it happened?" Evelyn asked the squirrel, who gasped dramatically.

"Yes! Oh, yes! It was terrifying. Well, I wasn't there but oh, gosh. My third cousin, twice removed Frank was there and saw it. Massive bulging eyes and monstrous claws. Ripped apart a poor young man after he was levitating a girl–"

"I'm actually heading that way to investigate. Did he tell you which way it was?" Evelyn interrupted.

"I'm pretty sure he said it was that way." The squirrel pointed in a direction diagonal to them and Evelyn nodded, fishing a handful of cashews from her fanny pack.

"For your troubles. I'm not sure if you'll like them–"

"Oh, thank you! You're an absolute sweetheart!" The squirrel said, taking all of them in its arms and waving merrily as Evelyn leapt to the next tree.

"Oh, don't be so sour, Arnold," Evelyn teased, pausing to pull a wild berry for him. He squeaked in protest but Evelyn just chuckled and continued on her way, corroborating the squirrel's story with a few other animals. After about half an hour, she paused suddenly when she saw Sherrif Galpin and his dog looking through the forest. Evelyn quickly flattened herself against the tree she was currently on as the dog barked loudly and scratched the tree.

"Oh, Elvis. Nothing's there. Leave the squirrel," Sheriff Galpin grunted, tugging the dog onward in the wrong direction. Evelyn silently continued onwards but was only slightly confused when she saw Wednesday and Tyler behind a tree together with Tyler looking like he was about to kidnap Wednesday.

"Am I interrupting something?" Evelyn asked, carefully dropping down from the tree. Tyler wiped his hand on his pants leg nervously, clearing his throat.

"You're here to look at crime scene as well?" Wednesday asked, staring at Evelyn unblinkingly.

"I can't say I'm surprised," Evelyn sighed, giving Arnold the rest of the berries while she chewed on the last of the cashews. Evelyn followed Wednesday as she led the way.

"Do you scare people for a living?" Tyler asked, trying to fill in the silence.

"It's more like a hobby," Evelyn replied without missing a beat. Wednesday smirked slightly when she heard the words.

"How about you? Do you make your job your entire personality?" Evelyn muttered, shoving her hands into the pockets of her hoodie.

"Uh, no?" Tyler asked, trailing behind the two. "Hey, Wednesday, What happened that day at the harvest festival?"

Wednesday silently continued walking.

"Look, I swear I won't say anything to my dad," he all but begged.

"I saw Rowan run into the forest, I thought he was in trouble so I followed. There, he proceeded to choke me and attempt to murder me but then a monster came out of the shadows and gutted him," Wednesday said flatly.

"Holy shit. Did you know this?" Tyler asked Evelyn.

"I didn't know she got choked but I saw the monster," Evelyn said, soothingly rubbing Arnold's back to warm him up.

"So you actually saw the monster?"

"It's still giving me nightmares," Evelyn said, chills raising on her skin as the mist thickened.

"I knew it. These are Rowan's," Wednesday said triumphantly, bending down to pick up Rowan's glasses. She picked them up and then her head jerked back quickly. Evelyn gasped and rushed over, ready to catch her if she fell.

"What...just happened?" Tyler uttered, right as Wednesday snapped back to reality.

"You okay?" Evelyn asked, quickly standing up to give Wednesday's her personal space bubble back.

"We're going to the library," Wednesday declared, walking away and evidently expecting Evelyn to follow. Evelyn scowled at the command but followed the goth nonetheless.