Chapter 19

"That's why I was surprised to find out he's related to the Belv Duchy"

Nathan said, making me snap out of my little victory session.

Previously I had talked about the rarity of magic in this world. Special powers were passed down from founding families of the Empire and this fact is unknown by many. Over time, the powers  inherited in families slowly began to diminish. Take for example, the power.of hypnosis of the Deor family. I'm the only inheritor of this power.

Some historic books talk about a time of magic, way before the Empire was founded. Of a time, were magic was a common thing even possessed by the peasants. A time were magic involved using powers greater than the specific powers granted to the founding families.

"How did you find out he's related to the Belv Duchy?"

I was skeptical. The Belv Duchy was not one of the founding families. Although a Duke family by name, the household had little to no importance during the Empire's birth. Only three families from the South had been involved. So now there was the question of how the Belv Duchy, Ronald's household, got access to magic?

"Of course I did some background check. Traced his family, friends and associates. He resided in the fiefdom of the Belv Duchy up until...well, a few years ago. Still, he is tied up with the household"

While listening to Nathan, I sighted the jeweled stone on the corpse's chest. A magic stone?

"How powerful was his magic?"

I paused my hand which reached for the jeweled stone and awaited Nathan's reply.

Nathan swallowed heavily and said. "His magic was very....very powerful"

Inside my head, I was trying to review everything Nathan said. Although I had made the Belv Duchy suffer a great blow after burning some of their property, the aspect of having magic at their disposal, made them a formidable existence.

I couldn't have that.

Firstly, father was affiliated with the Belv Duchy and they shared such a bond, along with their plans of change, and possibly a rebellion in the Empire. The idea of father also being able to utilize these magic users, shouldn't be eliminated. This could be a big problem. Could this be the reason for father's confidence?

Nathan's voice disrupted my thoughts. "I had noticed him and some others following me. He was the only one I was able to take down" He continued.

The way how he spoke made me feel uncomfortable. Nathan was supposed to be invincible. The most powerful person magic wielder alive....

Standing up and moving away from the corpse, and the magic stone, I questioned. "What do you mean, the 'only' one you were 'able' to take down?"

Nathan's face immediately became distressed. He bent his head, as if he was ashamed, and remained silent, before raising it back and looking at me.

"I'm sorry. But they were really strong....the most powerful people I've ever faced. I think they even used magic...." He spoke his words silently. Like a child ready to expecting a punishment of some sort, he bowed his head, unable to meet my eyes.

I was in no mood to question his inabilities. It felt as if the world was closing in around me. As if something was being tied around my neck, choking me. The feeling was hard to describe. But I was completely sure of my sudden inability to breath properly.

'Powerful people....more powerful than Nathan? What if they were the enemy? What did they want attacking Nathan? From the Belv Duchy? He was one of my most important pieces. I needed him'