Chapter 2

Baldwin was only five years old when William of Tire took him under his wing as his apprentice. He did not have good relations with his mother, Agni, after she divorced his father, because of her infidelity to Amarlic. She had a parallel relationship and later marriage with Hugo of Ibelem, in order to protect the lands and property belonging to her Count father.

Bigamy was a great sin, breaking the ten commandment law of adultery, which the people of Jerusalem did not accept. The children she had with Amarlic grew the palace garden of the House of Anjou, while she herself, for the sin she committed, lived a life away from her children.

"I don't believe you were so bothered by your separation" William said to Amarlic, seeing him sad on the porch of his palace

"I lost my mother, my brother and my little daughter within two years. I thought that the power and the throne with Agni by my side would heal my wounds. In the end all I saw was that it opened more" He put the glass to his lips, swallowing the sweet red wine with difficulty

"Agni was not a woman who could be Queen of such a divine city as Jerusalem" she approached Amarlic and placed her hand on his shoulder "Every obstacle for good my Lord. I am sure you will not suffer any more wounds , now the deepest ones will be closed"

William's words did not turn out to be true, as it turned out later. Baldwin was educated in the palace courtyard under the supervision of Archdeacon William. William taught him what was needed to become a proper heir: horse riding, Latin, the Bible and music.

What the archdeacon noticed was that when Baldwin was injured by a sharp object while playing with the other children of the yard, it did not hurt. This was also noticed by his sister, Sibylla, who was with him in the garden and had taken the position more of a mother than an overprotective sister.

"Baldwin?" She shouted grabbing his bleeding hand "We need to call a doctor quickly"

"I'm fine Sibylla" he said laughing "It's just a small scratch, it doesn't hurt at all"

"This is no time to play the brave one" she patted his cheek smiling

"No, I mean it, it doesn't hurt. I didn't feel anything" This comment made William take a stand on what exactly was happening to the prince and his sister to stop smiling.

She was very close to Baldwin, especially after the death of their little sister, Alice, for reasons unknown at the time. But also after the divorce of their parents, forcing the children to grow up without a mother.

William examined the six-year-old boy, seeing the mark of leprosy on his left arm. He was in the prince's chamber when he examined him, cutting a spike into the skin of his hand, seeing that the little prince felt no pain. Sibyl was sitting with her back to the wall of the room, watching in shock the sight of leprosy on her brother's arm. William approached her while she was looking lost, with teary eyes. She looked at William shaking her head and her lips trembling, ready to cry.

"Say nothing, archdeacon, whatever you say, it won't be for the good"

"You must know the truth" she turned and looked at Baldwin who had his attention fixed on the paramana, who was playing with him.

"I'm afraid to find out" a tear started rolling down her cheek

“The young lord has a severe form of leprosy, I don't know how many years he will live, but the scars are already starting to spread on his hand.” Sibylla put her hand to her lips and ran out of the room. She closed the door and laid her back there, crying and slowly bending her legs and falling to the ground. She didn't want to lose her brother, after all that had already happened in their lives.

The news of Baldwin's illness reached Amarlic and it was perhaps the deepest wound that had ever opened in his soul. He wrote a letter, informing Agni of their son's illness. He dropped the melted wax and pressed the seal, giving the letter to the messenger.

"Is there anything I should tell your ex-wife about your letter?"

"No, everything he needs to know is written inside"

"As you wish, my Lord" he bowed and left.

"Does he know about the little lord's illness?" William asked

"No one knows and make sure they don't, except Baldwin's closest servants. Only you, me and Sibylla know in this palace."

"Understood, my Lord" he bowed

"How many years does he has left?" Amori asked softly

"I can't be sure. It depends on the spread and the symptoms"

"God is unfair. Why him and not me?"

"Do not be blaspheme, my Lord"

“I'm not cursing, I'm obsessing” he sighed “How is Sibylla?"

"How can she be? Locked up in her room, she only comes out for dinner. I'm afraid she'll get so sick too that she's psychotic."

"She's not the one who should be locked in"

"What do you mean;"

"Baldwin will remain shut in the palace. He will not go out into the court or associate with anyone but us and Sibylla"

"And his education?"

"We have rooms in the palace suitable for his training. I trust you to train him properly for his succession to the throne."

"I will try my best, Your Highness" he bowed

"Order the soldiers to search for anything that could have infected my son. I put you in charge of the search."

"And what shall I do with them, my Lord?" He did not raise his head as he bowed

"Burn them"

William with the help of soldiers took all the prince's possessions, burning them and replacing them with new, clean furniture and quilts. Anything that could have been the source of leprosy.

"William, what's wrong with me?" Baldwin asked him while reading Latin with him

"When the time comes you will understand"

"I saw you burn all my possessions in the back yard. I saw you through the hallway windows. I'm young, but not dumb. Do you think I don't see the sorrow and compassion in Sibyl's eyes? She knows something. Something you're not telling me "He lifted up his sleeve, the leprosy had already spread all over his arm

"You think I don't see these pimples spreading on my hand? They itch but I'm afraid to touch them, even though it doesn't hurt, I'm afraid of the blood coming out of the wounds"

William slammed his hand on the table and stood up "When the time comes I will explain everything to you, but not now!" Baldwin lowered his face, looking at his hands. William regretted his behavior and sat down next to him.

"Forgive me young Lord, I did not mean to raise my voice"

"It's not your fault, I just don't want to see the pity in all of your eyes anymore. I want to become something stronger than what's happening to me."

"I'm sure you will" he smiled and Baldwin smiled back "Shall we continue the lesson?"

"Of course! I love Latin" William laughed and began to read him the Latin text of Julius Caesar, translating it and Baldwin taking notes from the translation.

In the following years, he made good progress in his education, while in time he grew hopeful and developed his natural abilities. He was a handsome boy for his age and more skilled than men older than himself in controlling horses and riding them at a gallop.

He had an excellent memory and enjoyed listening to and reading stories, as well as paying attention to good advice given by those around him. He tended to be stoic, but he always remembered the good things people around him had done for him, and the bad things too.

And so the years passed and he became a proper monarch that the people of Jerusalem, and beyond, would admire for centuries.