Chapter 9

A man in black was walking in the night. He entered Madonna of the Latins, the Catholic church in Jerusalem. He entered the confession room without removing the black cloak that covered his features.

"If they see me walking into a Christian church, I'll be in trouble" his voice was hoarse

"The fact that you are still alive as a hidden Christian among Muslims means that you are doing your job well" came a sweet young voice from the other side of the screen, inside the confessional room.

"They think I'm one of them, in this religious war"

"Why did you want to see me? Surely it would be important to ask William to speak to me at such a time"

"Some general went against the terms not to attack the Muslim civilian population in Damascus"

"Who? Raymond?"

"No, it wasn't him. Raymond may hate Muslims but he would never hurt innocents. I know him. I didn't know this man"

"Fine. From now on I'll take over at the next council"

"Glad to be of use once again" he bowed even though the young man on the other side wouldn't see it.

He came out of the confessional, in the corridor of the church William was lighting the candles of the church. The black-robed man bowed to him as well, the archbishop nodded, accepting his respects, and the man left the church.

"You can go out now" he told him and the door to the confessional opened with Baldwin struggling to get out. Leprosy had left him unable to move his left arm with ease "Have you realized who may have betrayed your terms with Saladin?"

"No, but I have someone in mind. William, have you ever had your mind stop thinking of a person because you just doesn't want to believe it?"

"God always gives us trials. The point is how we deal with them"

"You are right" William lowered his head and bowed to his king who left the church into the black night.

A few days later, the Sibyl was walking down the palace corridor with the crusader. The heavy curtains and lit candles gave the feeling that it is not day outside, but night.The princess stopped in the middle of the corridor that led to a wooden door

"From now on you are on your own. My brother asked to see you alone. He probably saw something I saw in you."

"What did you see?" He asked her but only got a smile on her red lips for an answer before she turned and left.

He sighed and knocked on the door, hearing the man's voice calling him inside. Baldwin was sitting at the table in his room, writing the royal decree. He didn't know how many years he still had to live, his left arm was already starting to become paralyzed, so he didn't want to leave his responsibities to the last moment when he might not be able to raise his arms.

When she saw him enter the room he got up from his chair and walked over to him "Welcome, Balian. I've been waiting for you."

"Why me in particular?"

"Barizan was your father, right? He was a good man and a good general" he showed him a table with a chess board and two chairs "War is like chess. One wrong move and you lose the battle"

"Did you know my father?" he said after sitting across from him

"He was one of the first crusaders sent by the King of England. Very good teacher, he taught me many moves that were useful for the war"