Chapter 10

The horses were galloping in the desert of Jerusalem, outside the city. The crusaders carried their white flag with the large red cross. The Muslim army approached in front of them.

"If they retreat after the battle, take as many troops as you need to pursue them," he told Guy.

"I don't think that will be necessary, Your Majesty," replied the regent.

Baldwin advanced with his guard. He held the reins only with his right hand, since he could hardly use his left. Still, as skilled a rider as he was, this inability did not hinder him. On the other hand, Saladin stepped forward, approaching him.

"Did you come to finish what you started?" Saladin looked around, his 20,000 soldiers against the far fewer crusaders

"You can retreat to Damascus now or we all die here fighting for our beliefs. Shall we stop now?"His gaze returned to Baldwin

"We will stop now" Saladin replied.

"Peace be with you"

"Peace would have come sooner if your viceroy had not attacked the civilian Muslim population" The king turned and looked at his regent.

Guy was stunned, though he knew sooner or later his treachery would be revealed.Saladin struck his bridle and retreated with his army, while Baldwin returned to the city walls. He got off his horse and ordered Guy to do the same. Two crusaders grabbed him, forcing him down to his knees while Baldwin drew his sword.

"Guy!" Sibyl's voice was heard running towards them with Rebecca, but the crusaders blocked their way "What does all this mean, Baldwin?"Baldwin did not answer her, nor did he hear her, his gaze was on Guy.

"When I asked you to hunt him down, you told me you wouldn't have to. I didn't care. You were behind it all. Why did you betray me? Why did you betray Jerusalem?"

"Jerusalem will not stand, all the crusaders know it. The city will fall"

"I am Jerusalem. The city will not fall unless I fall" he raised his sword and brought it to the neck of Guy who closed his eyes, ready to meet death "You do not deserve death you traitor" he told him and he removed his sword "You are stripped of your title of regent. You will never have my throne"

He pulled away from Guy, returning to his horse, but felt his strength leave him again, falling to the ground. "My lord" Raymond and Balian ran towards him.The crusaders helped him back to his room "I leave the campaigns to you" he told the regent and his general.

The doctors realized that the sun king would soon reign. There was not much they could do as his illness worsened.

"His disease has blinded him," the doctor told Rebecca as he left the room "His body has no strength left. We don't know if he will be able to move his limbs again."

"How is it now;" She asked trying to hold back her tears

"He's sleeping inside now. It's best not to disturb him. He needs a lot of rest"In the crusaders' meeting hall, tensions had already begun, leading to civil war.

Baldwin asked his doctor to inform him that if he deceased, his nephew will sit on the throne, although he is only eight years old. Guy managed to get some of the warriors on his side, saying that as the future king's father, he should sit down now, while the rest supported their king's wish.

 In the evening Rebecca opened the door trying not to make any noise. He approached Baldwin's table, looking at the documents he left, the royal decrees that were half left because he never got to writing them. She stroked his calligraphic letters and smiled slightly. She felt the sensation of someone behind her.