Author's Note

I want to thank you all, who read my story "Golden Face". I think it's one of the best stories I've written. I have never written a story based on historical events, let alone real people. I usually write romantic stories, which you can see strongly in my story.

I know the story stopped abruptly and I left a lot of issues open. Jerusalem, indeed, fell to Saladin's forces after the death of Baldwin IV, who was succeeded by his seven-year-old nephew and son of the Sibyl, Baldwin V.

Raymond was executed by beheading, along with some other crusaders, on Saladin's orders.

Sibyl died two years later, from an epidemic that struck the crusader camp where she was staying with Guy after the fall of Jerusalem.

Rebecca fled the palace when Muslim forces captured the city and returned to her homeland, where she died a few years later of leprosy, which she also turned out to have.

It is still unknown when William died, but he stopped recording historical events a year after the fall of Jerusalem. His manuscripts, preserved to this day in the British Museum, were the only historical sources of what exactly happened then. Many scribes of the time tried to keep more information about that time, but unfortunately almost none have survived to this day.

The story is dedicated to my father who "Kingdom of Heaven" is his favorite movie and it made me love it too, giving me the idea to research the leper king and write the story.