Chapter 5

The young lady was walking in the yard looking around in awe. The courtyard was huge and the white palace towered majestically over the flowery garden. He thought he would get lost in the bushes that formed like a maze.

She felt someone's presence, as if someone was looking at her through the window, and she raised her head, seeing no one. The entrance he entered led to the palace kitchen. There was the stout woman ordering the maids to prepare the dinner.

"You must be the new maid I was informed wants to work in the palace"

"Indeed" said the girl and bowed. The woman circled the girl.

"My name is Zahra, I am the head of the maids. However, it is not me who will decide if you will work here, but Princess Sibylla who asked for new maids in the palace. Follow me" The girl followed Zahra down the corridors.

She was looking at the walls that showed how wealthy the royal family of Jerusalem was. "Don't touch anything or talk to anyone without permission" Zahra said stepping forward.

She heard footsteps and saw a man walking down the hall in the opposite direction from them. He was tall, in pure white clothes, his whole body was covered with white cloths and his face with a golden mask. Zahra bowed to the man and walked on, while the girl stood for a while looking at him. He doesn't know if it was curiosity or awe, fear or admiration. He felt a chill from this strange man, but no threat. They briefly exchanged eye contact, before she was lost in her thoughts.

"And don't stay behind" Zahra yelled at her bringing her back to reality. The man was no longer there. He turned and looked at the woman "I don't want you to get lost inside the palace, first day here"

"Uh, yes, you're right," she followed her with a quick step. They approached a large wooden door and Zahra knocked on it "Don't forget to knock on the door when you enter any room"

"Come in" a female voice was heard "Only when you get such an answer can you enter" she opened the door and the girl followed her.

Sibylla grew into a beautiful woman, wearing a white ankle-length nightgown and combing her long brown hair while sitting on the couch in front of the mirror in the beauty salon.

"What would you like, Zahra? Who is that girl next to you?"

"She's the new girl who wants to work"

"You don't look like a Muslim and your dress doesn't look like a maid. What's your name? Why did you come to work as a maid here?"

"My name is Rebecca. I am a Judean resident of Bethlehem. My father died a few years ago and my mother has pains in her bones that prevent her from working to support us. That is why I came today to ask you to work here, Your Highness."

"Do you have siblings;"

"I have an older brother. He and his wife look after my mother"

"How old are you? You look young"

"I'm fourteen"

"Fourteen" he thought "It's a good age to adapt to the environment you'll be living in from now on. Zahra, show her what she should do"

"So, I'm going to start working here?" He fell to his knees and kissed Sibyl's hands "Thank you my princess" He stood up and bowed "Will you allow me to ask you a question?"

"Say it"

"I saw a man in the hallway" Sibyl began to resent, as if she already knew the question "He was wearing white clothes and a golden mask..."

"Do you want to lose your job from day one here?" Zahra asked her grabbing her and pulling her out of the room "Never ask about this man and never go to his room"