Not one of them

Hiccup was outside the arena after his father has just praised him for getting first place in dragon training. He knew he couldn't do this, kill a dragon after befriending one, but he needs to try and stop the fighting if he can once and fro all.

Or he might just regret not leaving when he had the chance. He was gonna leave the other day, but then he realized they would still be left fighting dragons, the ones who are just trying to survive, and it's them who are the ones geittng the food first.

So now he's going to stop the war if he can.

"It's time, Hiccup. Show 'em how it's done." Gobber tells him as Hiccup is lead into the arena and places the helmet on his head.

Hiccup goes in, as nervous as anyone could possibly be, if possible even more as everyone cheers him on around the arena. He goes to the stall holding weapons and grabs a shield along with a small dagger.

"I would've gone for the hammer." Stoick tells Gobber as they watch from outside who.

"I'm ready." Hiccup promises as the doors open and the Monsterous Nightmare bursts out of its cage and attacks the roof, trying to break free until it spots Hiccup in the cage with him.

Everyone cheers him on as Hiccup just drops the shield and knife to show he means the dragon no harm as the Nightmare approaches.

"What is he doing?" Stoick and everyone wonders.

"Hey, it's okay. It's okay." Hiccup promises the dragon and tries to calm it down and notices it's staring at his helmet. "I'm not one of them." He says before grabbing and tossing the helmet, leaving everyone in shock to what they witnessed.

"Stop the fight." Stoick said, standing up.

"No! I need you all to see this." Hiccup tells them as the dragon has already almost accepted him. "They're not what we think they are." A few tense seconds passed as the Monstrous Nightmare slowly started to lower it's head toward the boy's hand. "We don't have to kill them..."

"I said...stop the fight!" Stoick shouted as he slams a weapon against the caged ceiling.

The dragon's eyes went to slits and it promptly started to attack the small human that had been trying to touch him.

Now, the dragon was sure that the small human had been trying to lure him into calmness so that the big humans could do a surprise attack. The Monstrous Nightmare goes to torch Hiccup as he runs away from the flames before he could get hurt.

In the cove, Toothless suddenly perked his ears up at the sound of his human's voice raised in fear and immediately began a frantic search for a way out.

He jumped at the walls of the cove, scrabbling for a hold on the smooth rock to crawl out.

After a few attempts, he jumped while used his wings for a boost, and firmly dug his claws into the high ground he was aiming for. It was a last-ditch effort, but it worked and Toothless was soon sprinting, flapping, and jumping through the trees to come to his rider's aid.

As he reached the arena, the dragon blasted an opening in the top half to allow himself entry. The blast had also provided the added benefit of creating a cloud of smoke, which concealed his rider from the bad dragon's angry gaze, and afforded Toothless with an advantage, as he could see better in the smoke cloud than his larger opponent.

Hiccup couldn't see much of the dragon's fighting, but when the smoke cleared, he was on the opposite side of the arena from the Monstrous Nightmare, with Toothless standing protectively between them, ready to attack should the Monstrous dragon make an offensive move on his rider.

The situation was not helped when the arena was swarmed by Vikings, who took care of the Nightmare quickly before heading for the Night Fury, ready to kill.

Hiccup tried to tell his dragon to leave, but Toothless wasn't going. Hiccup thought fearfully of what would happen to Toothless if the swiftly approaching warriors managed to reach them, and he realised what he would have to do.

Sure, it would mean abandoning his village, everything he's ever known, but it would mean keeping his first true friend out of danger.

He jumped onto the saddle, clicked the prosthetic tailfin into place, and took off just as Spitelout reached the place they had been. He flew out of the arena and almost left right then, but instead guided Toothless to curve around and land on the caged top of the arena.

"Dad!" Hiccup shouted so that he could be heard by the people on the ground, "This is what I was trying to show you. They aren't evil, mindless killers. We could coexist if we just tried!"

Stoik looked up at his son with an outward expression of rage, "This is what you've been hiding from me? This is what you've been doing all this time?! I thought you were one of us! But you're not. You're no Viking...you're not my son." only a select few people, those who knew the chief very well, could hear a slight note of sadness in his voice as he said the final few statements, and the last shout.

From the ground, no one could really see Hiccup's expression, and although many guessed, no one could truly envision the forlorn, shocked, or slightly resentful emotions that were present.

Faster than most eyes could follow, the dragon and his rider were gone as they flew off into the distance, leaving everyone behind.

"As of now, Hiccup Haddock is a traitor and has become our enemy!" Stoick says to everyone who is still under shock to what has occurred.

As far out in the distance, Hiccup and Toothless flew away from the island he once called home.

He had to leave, otherwise his best friend would've been hunted down and he'd be banished formally and officially.

Hiccup didn't know what his destination was, or how long he'd be flying to get there. All he knew was that he and Toothless were going to get as far away from Berk as they could before stopping for a rest, since he just couldn't handle the stress of being too close to home after what had just happened back there.

Toothless crooned at his rider at seeing he's upset and Hiccup is reminded he made the right decision as he scratches his dragon's head to assure him he's all right.

He's without a home, and has nowhere where he's going now.

But his journey is only beginning.