Prologue

Two years later

Two years later

"Mr Salucci, should we reschedule the meeting?" I blinked out of my stare at nothing in particular. I met the eyes of Greta, who sat in front of my desk, her laptop on her lap.

"I apologise. Continue," she seemed hesitant to do so but obeyed and resumed her talk.

"Over the last year, I've been noticing more and more attempts from third-party IP addresses that are trying to break into your company's servers." She looked down at her screen, tucking her long blond hair behind her ear. I could see her screen reflecting off her glasses with Blue Ray protection, making the glass appear blue. "As well as your accounts."

"I've noted that," I replied in Italian. "However, they haven't succeeded, and that's all that matters. Although we need additional security," she nodded before looking up at me. "Would you suggest we should hire more professionals to help you?"

"As you are quite busy yourself, I would greatly appreciate that, Mr Salucci," I sighed.

"For the last time, Greta, call me Nico. If that's not what you want, at least Nicolas," she smiled faintly. "I don't like being addressed by my last name by people close to me."

"Alright, Nicolas," I nodded slightly before she continued. "I have a few potential candidates whom you will probably like. I'll send over their resumes for you to decide on your own," I nodded. "Oh, and before I forget, I didn't quite understand what you wanted me to find out exactly about-"

"Forget it," I interrupted. "I'll be waiting for the resumes. Until then, thank you, Greta. You're free to go," she frowned, debating about pushing me to explain, but thought against it and smiled before standing up. She closed her laptop and said her goodbyes.

Once alone, I sat there, my hand rubbing my jaw as I got lost in some thought again.

March 31st.

Exactly two years ago, I met her.

And almost two years have passed without a single word from her.

I promised myself that I would give her space and time to grieve. After all, I had my own brother to mourn and many more issues I had to tend to. And I knew that if she truly loved me, she would come back.

One day.

And it seemed as though that day would not come any time soon. So many things changed over the two years, yet I was the same hurt and shallow man inside. At least that much hadn't changed.

I'd been trying to keep myself away from my phone or any other things that would remind me of her, but without realising it, my hand always seemed to touch the rose charm on my neck. Not once had I taken it off. And not once had I thought about doing so. I didn't care about my future. I didn't even want to think of the possibility of her never showing up. But I wanted to keep at least one thing that reminded me of her.

She brought me peace when I needed it most. She succeeded in doing so after I met her. And she continues to do so without even being aware. I wouldn't trade this for the entire damned underworld.

I hadn't even spoken to Nathanial for two years since he's kept her location a secret. I could have her precise whereabouts in mere seconds, but she asked me for time.

I'll give her time.

All the time she needed.

Oh, how Kassian would laugh at me if he saw how much patience I had with this woman. I already got enough slack from Vittoria, but she was more upset with me rather than angry since she liked the woman I was in love with. She missed her and barely spoke to me because of it. No matter how much she tried, my girl never responded.

I groaned as I leaned back in my chair and took out my phone from my jacket. I opened my chats and found Nate's contact.

Nicolas: How long will this have to take?

Surprisingly, I didn't have to wait long to receive his reply.

Nate: Leave her be, Nicolas.

I pressed the call button and put the phone to my ear. It took me a few tries, but eventually, Nate picked up.

"What?"

"I'm on my last nerve, Nate."

"I don't care. I told you, time and time again, that your constant nagging isn't going to get nowhere," I heard someone shout on the other end, which made me frown.

"What was that?"

"Nothing that should concern you," he replied. "I don't want to repeat myself, Nicolas. I have enough on my plate and don't have time to play your stupid games."

"You're just taking her side over everything."

"Yes, I am taking her side because I was the first to tell you I do not approve of both of you. You know well I respect you, but I don't trust you enough to be with her. She's been through enough, and I certainly don't want you to ruin her further," my free hand balled into a fist as anger began flowing through my veins. "It's up to her, but so far, she has no desire to see you," I could feel my heart, or rather what was left of it, drop to my stomach. "Not right now, at least."

I hung up without another word and had to fight the urge to throw the phone at the wall.

I was thinking about how many years I would be able to take this. It wasn't clear just how long she'd stay so far away from me, and to be completely honest, I wasn't quite sure how long I'd be able to last so long without her.

It was becoming more apparent that I might have to get over there myself and do everything to catch sight of her.

Even if she was trying to hide something remarkablefrom me.