Chapter three

"I cannot deal with those essays and papers anymore," Oliver said as I sipped on my cappuccino

"I cannot deal with those essays and papers anymore," Oliver said as I sipped on my cappuccino. "I just want this all over with," I smiled while I put the cup down.

"Just think of all of the perks that'll come with a much higher degree," he smiled as he looked around the small coffee shop.

I crossed paths with Oliver Saito last year during his internship at the Matrix. He was pursuing a Master's degree in mathematics and communications, having taken a well-deserved break after completing his Bachelor's degree. After gaining valuable work experience, he felt the urge to delve deeper into his studies.

Physically, Oliver stood tall with a lean frame, complemented by his short black hair and fair complexion. His eyes possessed a dark and narrow allure, while his face boasted a remarkable symmetry, accentuated by a sharp jawline. Despite being just a year older than me, Oliver displayed a profound dedication to his education, which I greatly admired. His generosity and amiable nature were qualities that endeared him to me. Over the past three years, he had become one of the few people, outside of my family, whom I was genuinely grateful to have met.

I couldn't fail to mention how wonderfully he connected with Evara. From the moment I introduced him to her, they became good friends. Oliver was the only "outsider," if I could call him that, whom I trusted implicitly to be around my daughter. I had to admit that in the beginning, I had a nagging suspicion that Oliver might be somehow linked to Nicolas, and his presence in my life was merely a ploy to spy on me. However, my knowledge of Nicolas reassured me that he wouldn't simply sit still if he discovered he had a daughter.

"I just can't wait to finally graduate and travel somewhere warmer," I smiled. "Perhaps we should go together? Take Eva with you and we could have a nice and peaceful time together," Oliver suggested.

"I'm going to Italy next week and won't be back for a while," Oliver's eyes widened slightly. "Nathanial is going to accompany me and we'll stay there for a few weeks. I would invite you to join me and believe me I would prefer if you would go with me, but I might see one person I don't entirely want you to meet."

"Let me guess, it's Evara's father that you're trying to hide from me?" My throat tightened as I observed Oliver's expression. "You told me that he's from abroad and that I would apparently recognise him. I get that you haven't told him about Eva but has he done something to hurt you?" I immediately shook my head.

"No, hell no. I'm just trying to protect Evara from his life. That's all."

"So, I should just imagine he's some criminal?" I smiled.

"Compared to us, yes," I said, making Oliver smile. "I have no doubt that he would love the girl more than his own life but she's safer with me. But Nate is telling me I will have to reveal the news to him."

"You know, knowing the psychology of males, I'd like to be there just to keep an eye on you," I smiled. "Seriously, what if the news is too much for him to bear?"