Chapter ten

It'd been a rough night after everything that had happened yesterday but with the distraction that Vittoria and Verona were offering me, I was quick to forget my troubles

Vittoria was up bright and early and practically dragged me out of my bedroom by nine in the morning. As much as I was used to early mornings due to my daughter, it was extra difficult to wake up when I was in full vacation mode. And maybe destruction mode as I managed to cause more havoc in the past twenty-four hours than the last time I had been here.

I was surprised when Vittoria told me we'd be going to the beach and after a less than thirty-minute drive, we arrived in the small city of Ostia and parked the car in the small parking lot by the closest beach. As we walked through the small alley of nothing but small shops and cafes, Verona linked her arm with mine, making me smile.

It was the first day that truly felt like summer despite the cold yesterday. I wore a black one-piece that was hidden slightly under loose black pants and I opted for black flats which were a great decision considering the struggle that Vic had to go through as we walked through the rocky pavement.

"I told you to wear something more comfortable," Verona said as we entered a small shop with snacks and souvenirs.

"Well, I told you to suck it and now we're here," she said as she winced and found the nearest stool to sit down on. I smiled as I looked around and found small magnets on one turning display.

"I think you just meant to say that I was right and you were wrong," Verona said and I turned in time to see Vittoria holding a small plush toy before she threw it at her cousin. I laughed as Verona grabbed it from the ground and threw it back.

"Okay, you two need to chill out," I said as I grabbed the toy from Vittoria's hand and put it back into the box with the rest of them.

"I just think you cannot accept the fact that I am right," Verona said, making me almost roll my eyes.

"Can you two beat it, I was expecting to have a good time, not to babysit you two," she looked at me and smiled before grabbing some snacks from the display shelf and heading towards the register.

"Grab those pina coladas I like," said Vic. I turned to see Verona say to the salesperson something about the desired drink and the old man, who wore a wrinkled baby blue t-shirt ducked under the table before coming back up and handing her three bottles of cloudy white liquid.

"Do you like going to the beach?" I heard Vittoria ask from right beside me.

"I guess. I can't say I've spent much time during my life hanging around a beach but it is nice occasionally," truth was, I was more of a pool person. I wasn't completely fond of tides and then the plankton as well as the seaweed on the bottom or worse, floating around.

Verona put all of her purchases in her large beach bag before we headed out and I put my sunglasses on. "Do you come here often during the warmer months?" I asked Vittoria as we walked along the palm trees, growing one after the other by the shops and other smaller facilities.