Chapter thirty

"What do you mean you're engaged?" Giovanni sat on one of the couches in the private plane and stared at me wide-eyed

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

"What do you mean you're engaged?" Giovanni sat on one of the couches in the private plane and stared at me wide-eyed.

"I proposed earlier this evening," I said, Brielle sitting right beside me. My hand was resting on her thigh. She'd changed into a pair of sweatpants that were always on hand here on the plane. I gave her one of my T-shirts I kept here, and I would be lying if I said that the sight of her wearing something of mine didn't make my dick stiffen.

"How come none of us knew?"

"I did," Nate said as he sat across from us, his hands behind his head as he leaned back on the couch. Everyone's eyes moved onto him but it was Brielle who explained.

"There is something else we haven't been exactly honest about," I noticed the way my mother's hands began to tremble. Vittoria saw that and took our mother's hands in hers. She smiled at her daughter, making my heart easy slightly. I hated seeing my mother in such distress.

"Don't tell me that you're pregnant," Mattia said before I looked down at Brielle.

"Yeah, I found out a few days ago," I tried to hide my surprise, but was she actually pregnant and was keeping it away from me? She told me she had to get a hysterectomy, so I assumed that she wasn't able to have any more children.

"Oh my god," some people said in unison. I was debating if I should ask her point blank about this but I thought that perhaps she was keeping Evara a secret and decided to make something else up.

I looked at Nate who pinched the bridge of his nose and sighed hard. I would deal with that later.

"Congratulations," I smiled at my family and friends who looked genuinely happy for both Brielle and I.

"This is definitely not what I was expecting," Gio said. "I mean seriously, man, fucking behind our backs for so many weeks," I shot him a death glare, making him smile.

"Not in front of my mother, please," she smiled at me. But one thing I did notice well was how at ease Giovanni was. He didn't seem sad or frustrated with something and rather felt very calm and composed. Could it actually be my sister's presence that made him feel like that? I knew Brielle had a similar effect on me.

Hours later, I entered a small bedroom which Bri and I shared and saw her on her side, looking at nothing in particular. I closed the door, a worrying feeling washing over my chest.

"Are you okay?" I asked as I neared the bed and sat down, Brielle's body shifting on the bed until she was facing me.

"I'm fine," she said, her hand reaching for mine. I took her hand in mine and rose the hand to my lips before placing a kiss on her knuckles. I saw her smile in the corner of my eye.

If I learnt anything about women in my almost thirty years on this planet, it's that "fine" meant they were certainly not fine.

"Tell me," I moved closer to her and laid down beside her. Pressing her hand against my lips, she smiled. "Come on," I encouraged her.