Ch.2 A New Mission

The elderly man announced, "Official Zander, from the House of Goldbergs, has fled from the city. His position in the court was to take account of the Treasury of Weapons and Supplies. He was supposed to report to his Majesty this morning about the supplies after his Majesty figured out that the inventory amount didn't add up. Your task is to investigate and find this man. He was last reported to be seen headed to a small village near the King's army's horse stables. It is thought that he plans to steal a horse to travel out of the city faster. The King orders you to bring him back alive for a trial!"

A drawing of the wanted criminal is handed to General Burke. The sketch on the paper depicted the face of a fugitive, the once loyal official now replaced with a defiant man. The drawing captured an artist's precision detailing a man in his late 40's with clean-cut brown hair framing his face in a way that hinted at a disciplined past.

His brown eyes, once perhaps reflecting duty, now held a glint of opposition to the King. A dark mole marked the left side of his nose, a distinctive feature that made him stand out of the crowd. The artist had skillfully portrayed a man familiar with authority but now resembling an unspoken declaration of defiance to the way of an upright official of the King.

The elderly man then preceded to give the General a sympathetic smile knowing that the young man deserves a break after the long grueling war but has to find a runaway official instead.

The General faced his second in command saying, "Daemon, pick 15 troops to come join us on this search. Choose the men without injuries. We're to head out of the city at once!"

Without a moment to lose, the General, his two most trusted men and soldiers followed him on horses. They went in a different direction towards the exit for important official business only and rode outside of the city, in search of the wanted man.

(1 Day Later)

On top of a hill overlooking a small village stood 18 men and horses. The General was at the front overlooking the village with a glass cylinder. He steadied his horse to be just at the edge of the hill before it drops and goes into a small river.

His second in command Daemon and third in command lars brought their horses to stand next to him. It was oddly enough a picturesque scene with a band of soldiers overlooking a peaceful farming village.

The third in command Lars spoke up saying, "I can't believe we're chasing after some wanted official who escaped from a meeting with the King. This search is below our General's jurisdiction."

Daemon, the second in command, just gave Lars a stern look to tell him to not speak up. He was more serious of the two, rarely speaking unless needed to. Whereas Lars was the most talkative, never knowing when it's appropriate time to voice his opinions out loud.

"Keep some men on watch here. The rest will follow me into the village," the General said before closing the cylinder and putting it in a small pouch on the flank of his horse.

"Hiyah!" The men spurred their horses forward to follow his orders as the General rode into town.

Grumbling behind Lars said, "Well it's true."

Down in the valley, at a rundown cottage with a small courtyard, stayed the young miss of the Gunvaldson clan. The cottage was made out of wood and stone.

It was in the least bit sturdy since during the nights, cold wind blew in from between the cracks. It was a miserable looking home but the young lady and her maid made themselves at home.

Being in a remote village, away from the safety of her household, Rosemary has never been away from the comfort of her home. Although, she was never truly pampered like the other wealthy families. She was never given the chance to think about her death until now.

Would it be silent, away from her loved ones? Would death come from starvation, the cold or diseases? Well, that's probably the most common cause of death but it wasn't a concern to Rosemary.

If she died, it would be peaceful and quiet. Since she has been sent to the outskirts of the city at their family's workers cottage in a poor farming village.

It's made out of musty mud, gray stones and wood. A combination that has kept her from overcoming a dreadful cold for the past weeks.

She actually liked its peacefulness, but hunger was a different thing. Her maid would prepare her humbly portioned meals they were able to afford from their small allowance given to them every week.

Lately Rosemary and her maid have been sitting down together to eat as of late since she has become lonely. It's a custom to not eat with servants or maids only family whenever dining.

The one soldier that is protecting them cannot eat with them since he is a male, but she always prepares him his own plate of food worrying that he wouldn't be able to feed himself. It's the least she can do when they have traveled with her to live in exclusivity.

Her maid so humbly followed her saying that she will follow her wherever she goes. Her heartfelt loyalty and friendship has helped her get through this trying time in her life.

Who would have known that she would have been sent here for one mistake. She had a pet garden snake and let it out one day to play in her garden.

She grew it since it hatched from an egg, so it was always very docile with her. Well, as much as a wild snake could be. She too wasn't fond of the idea at first, but the son of her uncle's teacher helped her take care of the snake.

He was 3 years older than her and taught her to not be afraid of the reptile with smooth scales. He said that it isn't always the scariest looking things that we should be afraid of. So, she ended up raising the snake all by herself.

Her second mistake that day was not remembering that her aunt's nephew would have been playing out in the garden that day and happened to stumble upon the snake. The poor snake was stepped on by the frightful boy.

The snake bit him and that poor boy screamed his lungs out that day. Luckily the snake wasn't poisonous, and the boy didn't have a reaction at all. It wasn't her fault that he stepped on the snake; however, she took responsibility for the fact of wanting to scare the boy a little. She never would have expected him to step on such a small snake.

She was just glad that the snake was able to slither away before her aunt had the snake killed out of anger. Not only did the boy get sent back home but Aunt Livia took a grave disliking to Rosemary more than usual since then. It's like her very existence proved to be a nuisance to her plans.