Ch.3 A Curious Incident

She later found out that her aunt was trying to raise her orphan nephew as her own since she didn't have a son herself. However, her plans were quickly ruined by that one incident.

For the past couple of months Rosemary has been living with her only trusted maid Annie and one family guard. Her aunt sent her away for punishment, but Rosemary secretly knows that her aunt just doesn't like her. Her aunt is the head of the family since her parents have been away of to battle.

She married into our family during a time of famine before I was born. She keeps reminding my grandmother that their family owes her a big debt since her father supported our family with weapons needed for the war.

It doesn't matter to Rosemary anyways since she didn't like her aunt either. The only person that she cared for in her family was her grandmother. She is an elderly lady who is getting up in age. She is still as tough as nails and has a quick mind.

Grandmother Ivy grew up during the time where two families fought for the position of being King. She went to battle with her husband back then 35 years ago.

The Head Male of the house of Gunvaldson died before she was born so she never knew her grandfather but heard stories of his military achievements. He was just a low class general, but he was an honorable man. That's the reason why her father went to serve in the military as a colonel general.

Rosemary's father and mother have been at the frontlines of the war for the past years. Although they have come home a couple of times, just never stayed enough to leave a great impression on the young lady.

"Annie, what is that sound?" Rosemary asked.

"That would be the sound of drums, my lady. I heard from the villagers today that we have won the war thanks to General Burke and his Blood Red Army."

"We've never heard of such a festivity since we've been here."

"Yes, my lady."

Rosemary suddenly looked at Annie in hope. "Does that mean that father and mother will be coming home soon?"

"I do hope so, Rosemary. It would be a joyful occasion to meet your parents. I'm sure they have been wanting to see you after all these years." Annie said happily.

Sighing, Rosemary responded, "Annie, sometimes I think you're too optimistic."

Startled Annie exclaimed, "Surely it's true. Any father and mother would gladly see their child after a long time."

Smiling Rosemary said, "I hope so."

With that Rosemary went back into their small cottage and began to play with a few pieces of wood. She has been carving a small statue of a horse that fits in the palm of her hand. She's almost done and just a few more tweaks will be suitable to be a gift to her father.

After some time of carving, she was disturbed by heavy knocking on her door. Rosemary wanted to dismiss it as one of the men who come by and try to sell goods. But as she was about to tell the person that they didn't want to buy something today she heard a shrill voice.

"Miss Rosemary, your aunt has announced that it is time for you to come home. She believes it has been long enough for you to think about your actions." A short lady demanded.

She was someone who has gotten accustomed to having plenty of authority because of her position as the aunt's attendant; therefore, she belittled Rosemary's position as one with true household power.

Rosemary sighed, she almost forgot about her aunts favorite attendant. Seeing that the attendant is here she quietly went over to the door.

Her guard stood by her courtyard gate and waited for her before opening the door and taking off the wooden lock. The middle-aged servant squinted her eyes at the young lady before she motioned to the servant girl to hand over the basket of food.

After affirming that the lady is there and alive, she said, "You will have this meal then we are to set off at once  to the Gundvaldson house."

Annie took the basket from the stern looking lady and opened up the basket to see if the food was fit for her lady. A soft exclamation of surprise came from her as she saw the food. Two pieces of flatbread, a small bowl of porridge and an apple was in the basket.

"This is not enough for my lady to eat. There's no meat."

"Your lady will eat what Miss Gundvaldson so graciously brought to her. Eat it up then we will leave." The lady haughtily said.

Annie opened her mouth to argue before the young miss held up her hand to silence her objection. Taking the basket, Annie led her miss into the house at the dining table. Rosemary sat down on one of the wooded chairs that seemed like it could break any moment before eating the food.

After eating one piece of bread and the less than satisfactory porridge; the annoying shrill voice sounded again, voicing that they have to leave at once. After packing up what little they had they walked out of the house and past the courtyard to the carriage.

Rosemary slipped the piece of flatbread under her sleeve and gave Annie her apple. Before she went to climb into the carriage, she noticed footprints that led into the direction of the horse's stables.

She would have dismissed it at once, but it was drops of blood mixed into the dirt that caught her eyes. She continued into the carriage with the help of the footman curious instead of afraid of what she just saw.