51. Chapter (An Unlikely Rescuer)

Once the passionate encounter with her paramour had reached its climax, Lady Allman caught her breath and swiftly rose from the bed. She elegantly adorned herself in a silk dressing gown, her countenance filled with a sense of urgency as she prepared for her forthcoming visit. Emmett, reclining on the bed, watched her intently, his face wearing an exaggerated expression of curiosity that he couldn't resist voicing:

"Your hastiness in rising is remarkable. Did I perform less satisfactorily than before?"

Lady Allman turned toward him, a mischievous smile playing on her lips as she stood by the dressing table.

"Not at all, my dear Adonis. However, I am regrettably pressed for time, or else I risk arriving tardily."

Emmett huffed and pulled the covers closer, the chill of the room now seeping through.

"Surely you are not venturing off to another gentleman," he retorted irritably.

"No, I am to visit Lady Kendall. And pray, be informed, it has been an extended period since I have been in the company of any man other than yourself. I have explicitly expressed my desire for you alone," she reassured him, turning back to the mirror to tend to her hair.

"And what of young Price?"

Lady Allman scoffed with amusement.

"He, too, shall not be in attendance. He is preoccupied with his crimson-haired harlot. However, as the tale often unfolds, once he tires of her, he shall seek to regain my favour."

"Then I shall dispatch him," Emmett stated nonchalantly.

She shook her head disapprovingly and placed the brush firmly aside. After a moment, she delicately adjusted a few stray locks of her coiffure before speaking again.

"Rather, do enlighten me as to how much longer you intend to feign your European adventures before your royal cousin. Whispers have begun to circulate that you remain in London while Poole has journeyed to Saxony."

"Not much longer, my love."

Love here, love there, yet you remain entangled with that young Price wench, she seethed silently in her mind. However, she chose not to create a scene full of jealous fits just before her departure.

Rising from the vanity, Lady Allman gracefully glided toward the lingerie chest when her gaze fell upon the window.

"Hm, what is Gareth doing in the hayloft?"

"As I know him, he's frolicking with his prince there," Emmett replied.

"Frolicking with wh... Ah, I comprehend," she rolled her eyes at the filthy metaphor.

As she delicately slipped into silk stockings, she suddenly felt the firm embrace of two strong hands around her waist.

"You are the most enchanting woman in this realm and all the world," Emmett whispered huskily into her ear.

"I am aware," she replied, gently extricating herself from his grasp.

Yet he seized hold of the sash of her robe, pulling her closer.

"Emmett, not now. I am pressed for time," Lady Allman protested, as his lips showered her milky neck with fervent kisses.

Disappointed, he reluctantly released his hold.

"And when you return—"

"I shall be fatigued and seek repose," she retorted in feigned annoyance.

"That shall suffice for endeavours of mine, my dear."