55. Chapter (Almost Three Months Later)

Daniel's soul was consumed by a profound restlessness, rendering him unable to concentrate or find solace in one place. He wandered through the grand halls of Thornton Hall, occasionally uttering curses under his breath. The servants wisely avoided him, pretending not to notice his presence, so as not to endure his melancholic temperament.

As he entered the drawing room, his eyes fell upon Rose, sitting in a chair by the crackling fireplace, diligently engaged in her needlework. The sight took him by surprise—for he had been unaware of his mother's skill with the needle. How much had eluded him during his worldly existence? He contemplated silently retreating to spare her the intrusion, but it was too late—she had sensed his presence and spoke up.

"How much longer do you intend to cast a pall over the lives of all those in this household?" she inquired with a mixture of concern and firmness.

"Until they grant me the opportunity to lay eyes upon her," he retorted, his voice tinged with frustration, as he turned to leave.

"Not so hastily, I beseech you. Pray, be seated, for your restless spirit unnerves me," she commanded, and although he hesitated, he acquiesced, taking a seat in an ornate armchair across from her.

The warmth emanating from the grand hearth provided comfort, and in time, he came to appreciate its embrace. At least he would warm his form before embarking upon yet another brooding stroll, as Felix had teasingly labelled his current favourite pastime.

"I fail to comprehend why I am still denied the privilege of laying my eyes upon her. Lord Arden Price assured me that she is in good health, and that she now walks unencumbered by her affliction. It has been a quarter of a year, by the heavens," Daniel grumbled with a touch of desperation.

Eliza's mobility had not fully recovered, as she still experienced discomfort and a slight limp. However, the physician assured her that complete healing was within reach. Yet, such details held little significance for Daniel—for he loved her, and would continue to do so, irrespective of any physical scars, except, of course, those inflicted by death itself.

"Perhaps it is her own desire? Maybe she wishes to behold you in the best possible light. Even a minor injury can leave a profound impact upon our feminine confidence," Rose pondered aloud, her needle deftly piercing the fabric stretched upon an intricate embroidery frame.

Daniel sighed deeply. Perhaps his mother's words held some truth, but what did it matter? Suddenly, he rose from his seat, a determination burning within him, urging him to journey forth to the Price estate in Mayfair, and thunder upon their doors, if need be. Yet, just as he prepared to depart, Felix made his entrance into the drawing room, his icy hands drawn instinctively toward the warmth of the fire.

"Well, well, dear brother," he taunted, a mischievous glint in his eyes, "pray, where might you be off to in such haste?"

Daniel rolled his eyes and sank back into his chair.

"Well, did your endeavour prove successful?" Rose inquired of Felix, her eyes filled with eager anticipation.

Felix regarded her with a solemn gaze, only to break into a wide grin.

"Indeed, it did. Before you stands the illustrious Earl of Sullivan."

Rose's delighted squeal filled the air, while Daniel stared at his brother in astonishment.

"What—" he began, but Felix interrupted him with a knowing smile.

"All shall be revealed in due course. But I have further news to impart—you are warmly welcomed within the esteemed abode of the Price family. I was told by Lord Price himself that you are free to visit at your leisure."