Chapter One

Chapter One ~ The Beginning

In the past few months, Lamia's life has once again changed drastically. Now a mother of eight children, she has found herself a widow. Her husband, Lance had passed away from a heart attack, leaving Lamia and her children his entire fortune.

So, Lamia uprooted herself and her children to return to Florida where her sons, Laredo, and Lisardo will be playing for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers of the National Football League (NFL) since they both were selected by the Buccaneers in the fourth round of the 2023 NFL Draft.

She was happy to be back in Florida but also nervous, she hadn't spoken to her family and friends in over twenty years so she was hoping not to run into anyone she knew.

But you never really get what you wish because now standing in a middle of a grocery store, Lamia was being invited to a family bbq hosted by her childhood friend, Joshua Fatu.

"I promise you, Lamia, everyone will be so excited to see you," Joshua told Lamia.

"I don't know, Joshua, I haven't seen anyone in twenty-one years, I'm sure it will be awkward and I will be super uncomfortable," Lamia said.

Joshua kissed his teeth.

"Girl, you disappeared without a trance, everyone including myself will want to know where the hell you have been at. Come on, Lamia, you remember Takecia and Josivini, your best friends, they'll want to see you, especially after I tell them that I ran into you," Joshua said.

Lamia, Takecia, and Josivini were the best of friends. Lamia missed them so greatly.

"You're making it hard to say no," Lamia said.

"Ma! Ma! What's taking you so long?" Lisardo asked, walking up to Joshua and Lamia with his arms filled with bags of chips.

Lisardo looks Joshua up and down before placing the chips in the shopping cart. Joshua was stunned by the boy in front of him.

"Who is this?" Lisardo asked his mother.

"This is my childhood friend, Joshua Fatu," Lamia answered, hoping her son remember the name of his father's cousin, who she has mentioned in the past when she told her kids about their father.

"Oh snap, this is why you disappeared," Joshua said as he took in the similarities between the boy standing in front of him and his cousin, Joe.

"Oh it's nice to meet you," Lisardo said, before walking away to get more snacks.

"He is Joe's son, ain't he?" Joshua asked Lamia.

Lamia nods.

"Damn, Mia, how could you keep that a secret from Joe?" Joshua asked her.

He was slightly pissed for his cousin. How could Lamia keep something like this from him?

"I had no choice like literally...the moment my parents found out I was pregnant, they had me married off to save their reputation," Lamia tells Joshua.

"What do you mean?" Joshua asked.

"Joshua, I was placed in a forced arranged marriage to hide the fact that I was pregnant," Lamia answered.

Now, he was even more pissed. How could Lamia's parents do that to her? She was a child.

"What the fuck?! Are you serious? That's why you disappeared. That's fucked up. Now, you have to come to the bbq and bring my nephew too," Joshua said, sternly as he wasn't taking no for an answer.

Lamia sighed. She knew Joshua was going to tell everyone about Lisardo for sure so she has to go to the bbq to clear up the misunderstanding before she has a bunch of angry Samoans hunting her down.

"I'll bring him and his siblings," Lamia told Joshua.

"Siblings? There's more?" Joshua asked, shocked.

"Lisardo is a quintuplet, plus I had three more kids," Lamia explained to Joshua.

Joshua pulled out his phone and took a picture of Lamia.

"Joe got five kids he doesn't know about, that's crazy," Joshua said as he sent her picture to the group chat. "Lamia if you don't show up to this bbq, we will come find you," He warned her.

"I know," She said.

They traded contact information and Joshua gave her his address.

"See you at five," He said.

"Yeah," She said.