Chapter 1: The Calm Before the Storm

---

"Okay class, your time's up. Please hand me your final exams on your way out" the professor announced.

The classroom atmosphere was lifeless, as expected of students who had to suffer through such a brutal exam. Just by gazing at a few students, you could tell they were exhausted, me included.

Steadily students began to make their way to the front of the class and hand in their exam papers.

"I'm so screwed" exclaimed one student as he got out of his seat.

"You and me both, I probably should have taken an intro class first," another student replied with a defeated look on his face.

I chuckled under my breath and sighed as I tried to calculate my grade and the likelihood of my failure. No matter how much I studied, chemistry was never my strong suit. The only saving grace of this class was the fact that the professor offered us extra credit.

I got out of my seat with my exam in hand and walked up to the professor before giving him my exam papers.

With all the extra credit assignments I completed, I should end the class with at least a 90. 

Hopefully, I'll land myself a decent scholarship too. 

As I walked back to my seat to pack my bags, my best friend from high school Remi greeted me.

"Vera, how was the exam?" Remi asked.

"I don't think I did too bad but, after recalling some of my answers I'm starting to doubt myself," I said while continuing to pack my bag.

"Well, I'm sure you did better than me, I didn't start studying until last night"

"Procrastination at its finest" Remi giggled.

"Why am I not surprised?" I chuckled.

"Anyways should we go to the arcade? We can take our mind off of the exams and maybe get something to eat after too" Remi asked with a smile.

"Maybe tomorrow, my shift begins in about 40 minutes," I said after checking my watch.

"Yeah no problem, text me when you get home," Remi replied.

"Of course, see you later," I said while waving goodbye.

---

Beep,

Beep,

Beep,

"Are you part of our rewards program ma'am?" I asked the customer on the opposite side of the checkout counter.

"No, why do you guys try to recruit me every time I show up? " the old lady exclaimed while flipping her hair.

"No problem ma'am, would you like to donate to young children in need of-" I attempted to ask before getting cut off.