Chapter 6: Know Thy Enemy

***

After arriving back at the Duchy I was burnt out.

As usual, I went back up to my room to avoid dealing with the vermin who I now call my family.

While laying flat on my bed resembling a starfish, I stared up at the ceiling with a blank expression engrossed in my own thoughts.

After dealing with so much it made me realize, I'm utterly unprepared.

Who knows what I'll be bombarded with next?

I'll have to begin making preparations well in advance.

In fact, I'll need to start making backup plans for my backup plans.

"MY LADY!" Eleanor yelled as she busted through my room doors.

Swiftly I sat up before responding, "What is it?" with a startled expression.

"The Duke-" Eleanor said before getting cut off.

Right away the head butler entered my room before making eye contact with me.

"My lady, I'm here to notify you that the Duke has announced he will no longer be granting you allowance" the head butler interrupted.

"I see..." I responded in a low tone of voice.

"I apologize on his behalf, my lady" the head butler added.

Well, this happened sooner than expected.

Then again I'm sure I deeply offended each and every one of them at that last family dinner, I chuckled.

There's never a dull moment living as a villainess.

The butler seemed watchful as he stood there waiting to see my reaction.

Would the Ivanna of the past have started screaming by now?

Or better yet, would she have started throwing things?

Restoring Ivanna's reputation may take an entire lifetime at this rate, I sighed.

"I understand, thank you for letting me know" I responded with a restful tone.

There's no point in getting worked up,

You reap what you sow.