Chapter 4: Burn the Bridge

---

"So...Eleanor, what's been going on in the mansion while I was unconscious?" I asked before rephrasing my question.

"No actually, did anyone visit me during that time?"

"No, my lady...ah, actually the Duchess paid you a few visits over the year. I believe she was the only visitor" Eleanor replied.

Ivanna's stepmother?  

From what I remember, after Ivanna was born her mother passed away. 

Eventually, her father remarried and then her stepmother became the new Duchess. 

The stepmother wasn't mentioned much in the show but from what I can recall from the novel, she seemed like the classic stereotypical stepmother who doesn't want to be involved with her stepchildren.

But why was she visiting Ivanna so frequently? Not to mention nobody else visited her, so why did she even bother? 

Ivanna was on her deathbed anyway, did she come to speed up the process?

"Thanks for the info Eleanor...now I have a bit of a business proposal for the two of you" I eagerly stated.

"The...two of us milady?" Eleanor questioned.

"Yes, now that I've reawaken, I need people I can trust and rely on," I said with an earnest look on my face.

"Don't worry, I won't make you do anything crazy or illegal" I added after noticing Eleanor's uneasiness.

"You'll just be given simple tasks, such as gathering information and whatnot"

"Of course, you'll be heavily compensated for completing your duties"

"Although this is your decision to make, I believe your sister is at an age where she shouldn't be doing such demanding labor," I mentioned as I looked over at Anne clinging to Eleanor's skirt.

"I won't be giving you or your sister any dangerous tasks so please don't worry, I have no intention of endangering the lives of either of you"

"After I've completed my plans I'll give you and your sister enough money to live comfortably somewhere safe in the countryside" I explained.

Eleanor's eyes widened before slowly filling up with tears.

"You must keep your promise my lady, please," Eleanor said as she wiped away her tears.

"Of course, If you'd like we can write up a contract right now"

"I know I- I've done terrible things in the past, however, I'd like to turn over a new leaf"

"I want to live for myself and nobody else, and if you two could help me achieve that, I would be forever grateful"

"You don't have to believe in me but, at the very least believe in our contract"