8. My Father's Daughter

(TW!! Abuse!)

My eyes blearily looked around, tears spilling over. I felt dirt in my skin, making me want to claw at it until it was just blood. My arms were heavy, and my legs were stone, and I thought for a moment that perhaps my blood had become fire. It buzzed inside of me as my mouth gagged in the air. 

I felt like I was staring down at myself. The ceiling was twirling and whatever memories or stories or thoughts that were what I once thought of as my own were now someone else's. And they were quite ugly. 

‘Father will be disappointed.’

I had a father? Yes, yes, most living things did. He would be disappointed? Yes, that seemed right. 

‘Shoto will be scared.’

Shoto? Familiar. A name I knew. That seemed correct too. I cared for him. And he would be scared. But why?

Memories briefly flashed through my brain, my laughter, her screams, swirling together. 

Shoto will be scared.’ 

No. He should have been scared. But he wouldn’t be. Because I would be stuck here. I couldn’t hurt anyone. 

You’ll find a way. You always do.’

To hurt people? No, no, I didn’t want to hurt people, did I? The laughter rang through my head loud and blaring like a siren. I was lying. Wasn’t I. 

“Oh my god! Oh my god! Are you dead?! Please don’t be dead!”

The loud yelp stirred my thoughts, and my arm snapped out on instinct, a large spike building from the air. The sound of a thump a few feet away made my limbs move on their own, my legs jumping upright, the fire that was now my blood making it seem easy. Like I was wafting through a dream I could control.

I stared around for my assailant, looking widely around the room to find no one. Just a pair of blue shoes.

“Who’s there?” 

“It’s just me! I promise!” I looked around for the noise, only to find it being somewhere above the shoes. “Toru Hagakure! Remember? Your classmate.”

I dropped the ice and shook my head. My eyes landed on the top of the nitroglycerin bottle in my pocket, and I lifted it to my nose on instinct. My thoughts became coherent. Whatever part of me that was still left floating had rushed harshly back. 

“I apologize. My instincts got the better of me.”

I held my hand out towards the shoes, and felt a weight on it as she pulled herself upright, gloved hands shaking violently. 

“Uh, it’s fine, don’t worry. I’m just glad you aren’t dead!”

It was unnerving listening to a faceless, bodiless, voice. I wondered briefly if I was hallucinating. My fingers moved to pinch my arm, and a slight discomfort told me I wasn’t. 

“I suppose that is good.”

“I’m so surprised you’re all injured and everything! Todoroki- uh the other one- doesn’t have a scratch on him!” 

My back straightened, and I could feel the muscles in my legs tighten. “You’ve seen my brother? Where is he?”

“Um, to the left, kind of far away. But you shouldn’t worry, when I saw him he was doing really well, I only left because he was kinda close to freezing me.”

I blinked rapidly, a large headache making its way towards my brain. It was hard to think of one thing longer than a minute. My brain was screaming at me to run. To find him and make sure he was fine.