18. Nothing

(Yall its been so long I'm sorry. I went on a vacation and forgot to bring my charger, but here's the update.)

TW!! Abuse

Enji

Black never looked so ugly. It was worn on many faces, cruel faces, faces I barely recognized. One’s that he wouldn’t have known either. 

What would Touya do, had he seen us now? Had he seen so many use this occasion as a chance to crawl their filthy hands into the family, offering empty consultations while grinning behind their teeth. Seeing into the second best hero’s secrets. Whispering to each other about the neglect, another gossip to add to their chain. 

It made me nauseous. It was his funeral. Not a party. 

Still, it was easier to look at them, than the ones who did mourn him. Rei was standing in front of the picture of him, his smile pulled up, grinning at the camera, taken six months prior. She would run her fingers across his features and stare off into the distance. 

Fuyumi held Shoto, the young boy crying. He was confused, asking impertinent questions. Musing on where Touya was now. 

Yae held his hand, a blank face, glaring at the coffin as if waiting for him to jump out. As if he could. All that was left was a burned jaw bone anyway. That was all they could recover from the scene. All that he had left behind in his fifteen years of life. A blackened bone. 

“Endeavor?” I turned at the voice of an overly ambitious twenty year old. He had a camera around his neck and wide eyes. “I’m a huge fan! I was just devastated when I heard the news, please tell me how you’re feeling. The public is dying to know what happened, there’s been stories of course but to get it straight from you is really the best course of action. I mean think of what your kids will hear-”

“He’s not dead! He’s not dead!” The room was dead silent, everyone staring at the source of the noise. 

Yae was glaring at a woman with narrow eyes and too much makeup, one who looked startled, eyebrows drawn high on her face. 

“He promised me! He promised me he’d come back! He wouldn’t lie! I know it! I know it!” her voice was scratchy, having gone too high an octave, and she looked around, moving in circles as if surrounded by predators. 

“Yae.” I demanded, pushing through the crowd and grabbing her shoulder so harshly she stumbled before regaining her balance. “Don’t you ever make a scene like that again, do you hear me?”

She looked at me with wide terrified eyes. I felt something move in my chest, discomfort. But I shoved it down. 

“Enji.”

I blinked, turning my head at the sound of my name only to see a woman I never wanted to see again. Rei’s mother stared down at me from her long nose, a sharp glare in her eyes. “I think you ought to let her go.”

I opened my mouth to argue, but Rei had arrived, sweeping Yae into her arms and sending me a pleading look. Something about it made me realize I couldn’t argue on this day. Not like this. Not with her. 

“Rei dear, take the children back home, I have a few words to say to Enji.”

I hated that she used my first name. It was clear what she meant by it. The venom in her voice. For such a frail woman she had such a strong disobedience. 

She stood tall, turning away from me before speaking towards the people surrounding the two of us, “That’s it now. You’ve all come for the show and you’ve had it. Go back to your gossip.” Her voice was tight and superior, but enough of the crowd had the decency to lower their heads and break apart into groups.