14. Around the Campfire

A few hours later the family was now huddled around a campfire. The fire crackled with small embers that floated among the dark forest. They had finished their slices of oat bread along with curds and whey. For dessert, Lucia took out one of her favorite plates. It was chipped from overuse but still elegant with a rose pattern painted on the surface. She piled on a few chestnuts. Lorenzo handed her his pocketknife and she proceeded to pierce their round surfaces.

"I see you're still shivering." Lorenzo's voice perked from the silence.

"Hardly." Lucia forged a smile through chattering teeth. She had wanted to win so badly. Lorenzo always won these things. She might've earned a cold but it would have been worth it. "It was a silly mistake. I'm fine." Lorenzo didn't answer, he stood up and took off his jacket before wrapping it around her shoulders. "I thought you weren't a gentleman?"

"Ah well. I felt pity for the mad woman."

Lucia giggled as she looked back at her son, who was currently practicing a new yoyo trick. "Hansel, did you have fun?"

"Yes!" he answered simply.

"What was your favorite part?" Lorenzo pressed. "The moment when your mother made a fool of herself?"

"Oi!" She elbowed him in response.

"No." With his eyes still on his toy, the boy licked his lips. Though his expression was hard to tell, his eyes shone in bliss. "thinly iced blue tipped custard crème filled milk chocolate truffle..."

Lorenzo looked at the ground as he slumped his shoulders. "Really?"

"yes."

It was hard not to grin at that. Lucia knew Hansel admired sweets, but nothing could compare to his love for chocolate. Sometimes the way his eyes would dilate at the mere mention made her baker's heart full of pride. It was impressive how he had memorized even the longest of fancy truffle names, even those he hadn't tasted before. "Did you expect him to say anything else?"

Lorenzo shook his head gently. "and here I thought we had a beautiful bonding moment as we carved together."

"I can't help it if mamma makes the best chocolates! Dante was definitely the second best." He pulled the statue.

"How about we work on Dante some more next week, hm?"

"Yes, Papa!" Hansel nodded energetically.

"But if you'd rather eat your mother's chocolates instead..." The man shrugged.

Hansel looked as If someone had given him a life-changing decision. He opened his mouth to speak but stuttered before he looked down and brought his hands to his chin in thought. He hummed before putting his hands together near his lips. "How many chocolates?"

Lucia lifted her hand to hide a giggle. "No more chocolate." She finally admitted. "We need to try to get you to eat better."

"and perhaps if you'd stop stealing your mother's craft, she'd have more to sell. That means I could work a little less." Lorenzo sang lightly before he turned to Lucia. "Why do you let him steal your craft?"

Lucia was unsure of how to explain it. How could she tell her husband that their nine-year-old son was an evil mastermind who would consistently find ways to create gizmos, break locks, and most recently learn to climb the curtain and cupboards? Or was she just that bad at discipline?

"She doesn't." Hansel interrupted. "She just has a lot on her mind. It leaves a lot of space for me to be sneaky, and the temptation is too strong." He looked away and scratched the back of his neck. Lucia's heart warmed a little. Did he know she blamed herself for his behavior at times? She doubted it, he was too young. Either way he had helped her feel better and for that she was grateful. She wrapped an arm around him and pulled him closer, to his annoyance.