15. Blazing Tragedy

Lorenzo settled on the story of Violet Cappotti, one of Rhionine's best (but also violent) legends. Before Lucia could even protest Lorenzo and Hansel gave her that same warning look. What was worse was that they kept that glare until the end of the story, as if to prevent her from protesting. Hansel was her only son! Could Lorenzo blame her for not wanting to share a horror story that took place in these same woods, just before they put their son to bed in his tent?

"Well-" she smiled, having finished her nuts and standing up. "I think I'm going to head to bed for tonight. I may need to admit it's getting a little chilly for a race winner such as myself."

Lorenzo shook his head with a laugh. "Regretting your win?"

"Never." She gave a nod and kissed her son's head before creeping into the tent.

She sighed as she heard Hansel and Lorenzo bond. She didn't think they'd understand how hard it was for her not to think of Adiscordia and question the gods themselves. Hansel was right, she couldn't just stand there and let this happen again. It was unfair. Her chest tensed a little as she stared at the tent roof. There had to be a way to do the right thing without being caught.

"Lucy, are you alright?" Her husband's voice snapped her from her train of thought. This wasn't the first time she felt too much of someone else's pain. Each time she did, he'd come to prop her up. It could have been early in the morning, or late at night after a long work day, but he was her anchor. The tears had already started to dry on her cheeks.

"Yes."

She heard a gentle sigh as Lorenzo knelt and opened the tent flap. "Don't lie to me, woman."

If he had suspected she wasn't doing alright, her lie had been revealed now. Her puffy eyes and hunched position gave her away. "Is he asleep?"

Lorenzo looked behind him. "I told him more on the huntings of Violet Cappotti. He might not want to sleep tonight."

She had found him to be so wise and compassionate just a moment ago, and now she was back to seeing how he had a tendency not to think before he acted. She struggled not to roll her eyes. "There's a reason that's a tale for grown men and women. We're in a forest at night, I don't think telling Hansel about a mysterious red-hooded beast that lives in the forest and slaughters people was a great bedtime story."

He turned to her and raised a brow. "Are you giving me bedtime story advice?"

Lucia wanted to say something, but he had a point. Even if she had meant a happy ending, telling Adiscordia's story was probably not the best idea. Hansel was only nine and she had encouraged him in questioning the gods. She lowered her head. "I know... I was going to give her a happy ending."

It took Lorenzo a moment to respond. He looked over to his right, if Hansel was in bed he'd likely hear them. She hadn't heard anything from it, but she admittedly hadn't been paying as much attention as she should have been.

He looked down and whispered. "Lucy, I'm sorry. Happy endings only come in fairytales, I wouldn't think too much about it." Lucia pressed her lips. Her husband wasn't wrong, but she hated the harsh truth. He leaned to her and pulled her chin up. "But you did what no one else would. Lucy, you saved that girl's life. You fed her, took her to her mother, and made sure she found her sister doesn't that count for something?"

Lucia put her hands on her lips and looked away. Of course, it counted for something. That should have comforted her plenty, but it didn't give her any relief. "But, if I knew she was cursed from the moment I saw her, do you think I would have done the same? Lori-" She put a hand to her chest. "I did the right thing that time, but you saw how Chamberleign reacted. I was the talk of the town in under an hour, and I didn't even know it. I want to help her, but it would put our family at risk. I don't know if I can bring myself to do it again."

Lorenzo put a hand on her shoulder and lowered his head to meet hers. "I don't hold anything against you for what you did. We worked it out together, and I'm sure that between the three of us, we can find a much more discreet way to help."