° 42

"Lily, could you help us here?" Aunt Lilian poked her head out of the dining room "Okay." I nodded and pulled myself out of the couch.

I saw her peeling potatoes at the kitchen counter with Aunt Coraline on the bar stool, doing something I couldn't see. I hope she's not drinking.

"Are you in a relationship?" Aunt Lilian asked, startling me as she turned around to look at me at the door between the dining area and the kitchen "She is not planning to get married, Lilian." Aunt Coraline answered for me. Aunt Lilian knitted her eyebrows together "That's ridiculous." Aunt Lilian laughed.

"Oh, you're serious?" Her shoulders dropped as she looked between me and Aunt Coraline "Well, can't blame you, Lily, the married world is a tough one." I raised my eyebrow at the sudden change of her mind "I rather you do not marry and not be stressed." Aunt Lilian added.

"Yeah." I can't think how to respond anymore. I grabbed some potato salad from the counter settled myself near the sink and started peeling it.

"How are you and Uncle Rod?" I asked her "Divorced." Aunt Lilian chuckled and she didn't seem bothered that I mentioned her now ex-husband "Oh, sorry." I apologize as I scratched the back of my neck "No worries, we divorced a few years after your parents."

Aunt Lilian is so chill and so energetic. She and Mom are completely the opposite of each other. Mom is more of a quiet and firm woman while Aunt Lilian is full of life and adventurer.

I wonder how my grandmother, Aunt Coraline's sister raised her daughters. My mom, and Aunt Lilian. They grew up with a luxurious life, I'm sure of it so it can't be possible because of their financial status that the other one seems to be more hardworking and the other one is hardworking yet doesn't care about the world.

"Aunt Lilian, what happened between you and Mom?" I've been meaning to ask her about them but I never get the chance to and I guess this is the right time.

"Your mother and I, we never really get along. Since we were kids, we have fought like cats and dogs. Until we admit our wrongs to each other and get on good terms." She explained. I wonder what made them realize their wrongs and I might recommend that to someone else if I found out.

"I'm glad you reconciled." I smiled at her. Aunt Lilian walked closer to me before turning the water on and washing her hands "Me too." Aunt Lilian said, putting her hand on my cheek to caress it.

It looks like I was looking at myself every time I look at her but whilst I have short hair, she had long.

"Do you know what happened between my parents? Why they divorce?" I asked suddenly but Aunt Lilian's emotion never changed and she clicked her tongue instead before poking her cheek with her tongue "Apparently, no." Aunt Lilian sighed before giving me a tight smile.

Mateo barged into the kitchen, a big smile plastered on his face like he was about to say big happy news that I would be certainly like "Mera, you're not gonna believe what just happened," Mateo exclaimed, hands on his head as he stood beside me. I raised my eyebrow at him and nudged him to go away.

"Paul and Rachel just broke up." He said so excitedly, eyes full of excitement, so excited for my reaction "So?" I asked.

"So, we are at Emily's and they are having a fight and Paul broke up with her." Mateo explained, understanding what I meant "I mean, what do you want me to do?" I told him and rolled my eyes.

Mateo's shoulder dropped, the excitement from his face fading and replaced by a frown before sitting down on the dining table with his hands on his chin.

I saw Aunt Lilian looking at me "Is there something in my face?" I asked her. She shook her head "No, you're just beautiful." Aunt Lilian smiled.

"Very beautiful, Lily." She pushed my hair out of my face before tucking it behind my ear.