Chapter 10

"Pfft-"

"Stop-"

"I know Roronoa is an important prisoner and his execution is nigh, but you didn't have to personally guard his cell! Hahahahahaha. You even fell asleep there!!" The assistant warden roared with laughter.

A guard had found her asleep while going for his morning rounds and clueless about what action he should take up, had gone ahead and informed the assistant warden about her whereabouts.

The assistant warden had found her still sleeping soundly when he arrived, and it would've been so if not for his laughter waking her up.

Zoro had also just woken up when the assistant warden came to retrieve his assistant.

His confusion was left unattended to when the assistant warden dragged her away for some more teasing.

Now she burned in embarassment while the assistant warden roared his head off with laughter.

"It's not going to happen again, so shut it. You're so annoying," she managed to say through gritted teeth.

His laughter echoed behind her when she left his office, her ears tinged red and her mouth muttering curses.

_________________________

"How's it going, kid? You don't come visit us so much anymore."

"How's your training, Y/N-chan? I look forward to seeing you in the Marines."

"We'll be leaving tomorrow, Y/N-chan. You're already old enough now, do you want to come with us?"

"WHICH OF US WILL YOU GO WITH???"

Her eyes jolted awake.

"You awake? Help me sort these records, will you?" The assistant warden glanced at her direction.

Right. Now was not the time to be dreaming of the past.

__________________________

She found herself in front of his cell again.

The only sounds that could be heard were some of the prisoners snoring and the occasional sleep talking.

This time she had something in her hand- a key. A set of keys to be precise, but she was holding onto one in particular.

Maybe, just maybe, she could insert the key into the lock and then leave. And maybe, he'd wake up and find the door unlocked, and accept it as fate and escape to the sea to be where he was meant to be. And then maybe, just maybe, she'd also be free.

Leaning down, her steady hands which were now trembling slightly, brought out the key to unlock the cell-

"And you have a plan?"

"Even if I did, why would I tell you, Marine?"

She stopped herself.

Right. He would not forgive them both if he came to know this was how he escaped.

She turned away from his cell in an attempt to calm herself down.

She had to leave. Before she did anything stupid.

She took a step to leave.

But what if she just left the key behind?

She bent down and softly placed the keys on the floor by his cell, but before she could completely let go, her fingers clasped around them tightly again and she straightened herself up.

And then she turned once more, this time finally leaving before anyone could wake up to the sound of her raging thoughts.