PEEPING TOMS: THA & THI

Calum wiped his mouth with the napkin, "I understand your standpoint, but in my opinion, people do things when they're ready. They get married when they feel up to it and have kids the same way. One can't schedule when things happen."

"It's like you, you're ready for company, and you should get yourself a dog if company is all you need.

Callum smiled, "I already have one. Pebbles is a darling, but It's the human exchange I want." He took another bite of his burger. He had plenty of time to munch while Maureen sought her arguments to fire back.

"Is that your shortcut for sex?"

Callum almost choked on his bite. Maureen fired her shot, and the man was almost down. He grabbed his glass and drank before saying. "People don't need to date to have sex. If that's what I desired, I wouldn't be here."

Callum had the catch he sought concerning Maureen. She not only had high expectations but a calendar to respect.

Something told Callum her act was a bluff. Thus, he remained stoic. His calmness impressed Maureen, who usually read the panic in her date's expression when she tackled the subject.

"Sorry, I'm the type of person who needs time to fall in love. I can't treat my love life like fast food. I don't need to eat for the sake of it. Call me romantic or stupid, but I need something to happen here." Callum touched his heart, saying, "It's the only thing I can trust."

As he said it, Callum realized he felt nothing, absolutely nothing, towards Maureen. She was beautiful and intelligent. She had a dynamic temperament, but her passive-aggressive nature was a turn-off, and the man didn't like the feeling he had of constantly retaking his GCSEs at every one of Maureen's questions.

Where Adele made him want to befriend her, Maureen made Callum want to crawl back to his life of solitude. He hated conflictual situations, and Maureen seemed to be of bellicose section.

Despite Callum's calm, Maureen wasn't sure about him either. His speech was worthy of the undecisive men she met. They wouldn't go far if the man had to feel everything. Maureen already envisioned the months ahead and her spending time trying to make Callum feel she was the one.

Suddenly, she remembered Callum's words. People do things when ready. She was geared up, but Callum was a few levels under the bar, where relationships were small talks and outings.

Was he worth her investment?

Maureen doubted.

"Have you ever met someone you wanted to marry?" Maureen asked.

"No, have you?"

Maureen reflected a second, "Well, my Ex-."

"Did you want to marry him because you loved him, or was it just because you estimated that time was up?" Callum interjected before she threw another killer reply.

Maureen opened her mouth to speak and closed it.

The rest of the meal was full of empty conversations. Callum tried to keep the momentum of the first part of the date, but both began to count the minutes. They had managed to tag each other with anxiety. Thus, it was with great relief that Maureen dropped Callum off at his.

"Well, I guess this is it?"

"Yes," Maureen replied.

The woman's mink mode was on pause. Her reply was as dry as sandpaper smoothing out wood.

"I had fun tonight."

"You were in good company," Maureen said with that hint of salt and pepper that could make one sneeze.