AVAILABLE-ISH

Thandie's first Oppo date was a disaster. She realized her mistake. She naturally thought Cole and her would match because he was a black man, and their understanding of one another would surely be better.

Going on her date with him brought back memories of what she detested in her relationship with Moses.

The age difference wasn't the issue. What bothered Thandie was Coles's limited independence. Thandie didn't see herself mothering a grown man.

She wanted something other; she just didn't put a finger on her exact desire.

"Pick someone your age," Thiane urged.

Who was available, her age, and had stability?

The thought dragged along until Monday, and the scent of Callum's bread filled the street and reminded her of the man's existence.

Callum was slightly older. The two-year age gap made them the same age, in Thandie's opinion.

Regarding stability, Callum had the package or at least the finance. He wasn't a millionaire, but he made a good living.

Her kids relished his cakes, and Meia even seemed to appreciate him as a person.

Physically, his height scored a ten, and so did his eyes. Blue or grey, all Thandie knew was they were bright.

Those were the good points Thandie thought before enlisting the downers: He smoked. His lungs were probably tarmac. He had a dog, was terribly clumsy and shy, and fatefully, he had to be white.

Unlike his sister, Thandie believed Callum could never understand her even in a million years.

"What's a black way of living?" Thiane asked when she evoked her thoughts.

"We have our culture."

Thiane rolled her eyes before springing back, "Can't we share it? Can't you teach someone about African or Nigerian culture? If the guy is interested in you, he'll try to learn as much about you as possible, and you can learn about him."

"He's white, there's no culture there," Thandie retorted.

"Oh, please, Thandie, don't be so narrow-minded. He probably has origins. Great Britain has a history. And please don't bring out the slave trade and colonization train. We know, they know. And yes, if we were back then, things would be different, but we're now in another era where none have forgotten but wish to move forward."

Thandie drooped her lips and slid her head back, "Have you ever thought about doing politics? I'm moved. I am shaken."

"Tha, I'm serious."

"So am I. I've never dated one. It's daunting."

"You're plain scared. They're human, you know. He's human. Try Tha, try. It won't kill you."

"Can I remind you that he lives across the street?"

"Tha, one date."

One date, Thandie thought as she stared at the message Callum had sent. The man had been nothing but friendly from the beginning. They were intrigued by one another from the start, but Thandie still didn't want to admit it.

Can the coffee be a dinner? Thandie wrote.

A coffee was too short and a dinner too long, but at least it gave her time to learn more about someone.

The answer took longer than Thandie thought to arrive. Callum jumped on his phone almost two hours after Thandie sent her message.

Yes, dinner is perfect. How about Friday? Callum wrote and waited for a reply that never came.